What Tube preamp for NADC370 ? please

Hi,I am interested in a tube Preamp for pairing with my NADC370,hoping for a sonic upgrade. My first choice is MusicalFidelity-X-PRE;yet this one is discontinued and I have no way of finding it to buy.Does anybody have any idea as to other brand of tube preamp(around 700$)that would sonically nice-matched with NADC370? I am using NoeTjoeb4000CDP;Analysis plus Oval 9 spkr cable;TruthLink IC.(Harmonic Tech). Your opinion and suggestion is highly appreciated and thanks a lot.
Simon
simonleemd
I would agree with Couldbe Audio Research preamps are fantastic. I have the LS1 which has only one tube and also has the direct input which bypasses all switches including balance. A very smooth presentation.
Hello,
If you can find an Audio Research pre in that price range you won't be dissapointed. I have had more amps and pre-amps that is allowed by law, and AR does if for me. I recently purchased some Oval Nines and now my system is for the most part, pretty much taken care of. In stead of obessing about this and that, I can actually sit down and enjoy the music! I haven't done that for quite some time!
I have been very satisfied with my Conrad Johnson PV10a preamp. I tried NAD, Adcom, Counterpoint and Audire preamps before the C-J. The C-J is not neutral but is very musical. I think it is best in smoothing out solid state amps. Used PV10a's go for $450-650 and are found with or without phono stage. Get one with the phono stage, get a budget turntable (MMF 5?) and you will be hooked on vinyl again.
i would second the rogue 66 pre as an intro to tubes. i believe there is one posted today on audiogon for $700 used, well worth it imo. i have a 99 mag preamp, different animal, but i think you'll find what you are looking for in a used 66 pre. also check out quicksilver's linestages, i've seen a few of their tube preamps going for under $500. i can't say i've listened myself, but others i trust suggested i listen when i was in your shoes. maybe check out vac, though unless you find a good deal on a used unit, i think this wil be outside your budget. i think there is a vac tube pre, their basic pre, nothing fancy, listed in the realm of your budget now on audiogon.
cheers
If you want to warm up the sound and roll off the Highs then the X-pre will work for you.
The thing about the integrated that both the pre and amp sections a well matched in terms of quality. If you want to use the 370 as a interim power amp as part of a staggered upgrade than that is a good idea. think about something like the Rogue Audio 66 preamp, which is the lowest price high quality tube pre out there at $1199. Otherwise I think you are better of enjoying as it is an outstanding valuefor a high powered integrated. Think about using the cash to upgrade your cd player or speakers.