What to try?

Currently have Yamaha As1200 integrated with KLH Model 5.  Looking to get a more refined sound with a tube integrated.  220 square foot room,  8 foot ceilings.  I  am getting a somewhat foreword presentation now but good solid clear sound with punch.  Thinking about a Pathos Classic One MkIII or Willsenton R8 or Line Magnetic KT88.  The Pathos is a hybrid but have heard good things.  Play mostly vinyl with Fluance RT 85 and Ortofon Blue. Listen to mostly rock and alt country and some classical.   Just thinking of dipping my toes into tubes to get a different sound.  Any suggestions?

laecp123

Showing 9 responses by laecp123

I agree with ghdprentis   I heard the Audio Research I50 amp at the same dealer as the Ma252 and it sounded great. Clear defined smooth but with weight. It is too much money right now for me and very rarely see it used. The Yamaha is a well built good sounding amp and I guess I just want to try and see how a tube or hybrid amp will sound daily in my house. Maybe it is the nature of this hobby. I have been collecting and listening to music most of my 62 years and am just starting to get interested in the sounds from the equipment. The system I have now I waited till the kids moved out and were settled till I splurged.  And am enjoying the heck out of it. Just thought maybe something even better……..?    

I have budget of under 3.5 k. Thank you for your responses. This is my first post. Not sure how to respond to each individual post but I will try.  Good idea about phono stage and cartridge. I realize I will need to add phono stage to the other amps suggested. Used or new will be evaluated. It is just so hard to purchase without hearing first. I did hear the McIntosh Ma252 and it sounded just ok to me. My Yamaha has much more life than the Mac if you know what I mean. Thanks again and I will look into the Vincent’s. 

Also. Anybody using the Willsenton R8. I have seen the you tube stuff. Just want to know from real users and actual reliability. Looks well made but no experience with it. Also I wrote the wrong size room I am dealing with it is about 300 sf with 8 foot ceilings and two openings. Thanks again. 

That VPI amp looks very interesting as does the Octave  I will do some research  I can not find the Pathos @soix  suggested  I know that Upscale Audio is a dealer and importer and has a 30 or 60 day trial but shipping is on buyer   That is another possibility to at least demo one but it will cost shipping if it is not a fit with my Model 5a which are well built look great and sound full  

Thank you for suggestions. I have no problem using a separate phono stage. That will not affect my decision on the amp. 

I am going to demo the Rogie next week. I want to make sure there is a tube sound to that amp and that it is different in a good way to my ears than my AS1200. Is that ARC amp that @rfnoise showed available is the volume and such only adjustable through a remote. I can not tell. And as @rfnoise  said it is happy hunting. These are not important matters in the grand scheme of things but it is just a plain fun thing to do. 

Thank you @rfnoise.  I looked closer at the pictures and saw the buttons. I may pull the trigger on that. Thanks for the suggestions. 

I am very interested in the R8, the Pathos Classic one Mkiii and the Line Magnetic 805 amp. It is a lot more money so would have to be used. The Muzishare and Cayin amps look terrific  also. Still reading forums etc. am going to demo a Kt88 Line magnetic at a dealer near Boston in a few weeks. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.  @Mganga how was the Pathos lifeless. In what way?

•