What to expect from a new DAC?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether newer DAC's/CD players are truely better sounding then older ones. I'm curious, what would one expect in terms of improvement from say a Raysonic 128, which is viewed as an excellent sounding now older CD player and say a Berkeley DAC, older version. Is the improvement, going to be subtle or really apparent.
redcarerra
Its a matter of preference, i know some people who like their older gear better than newest models. This is sort of like tubes vs SS.
WOW you guys are making feel a lot better. Recently my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC died. So, I went in the closet and pulled out my old CAL Alpha DAC. I was surprised how well it sounded, in fact it sounds so good I've been debating weather to repair the MF T-V 21 or even buying a new DAC. For now I'll just enjoy the music.
I just retired my CAL Sigma II. It doesn't do what these new ones do. The Alpha is a better unit though and I'd be hard pressed to suggest better for several times it's cost.
From Audioengr: "The best USB converters on the market are:

1) Off-Ramp 5
2) Diverter HR
3) Synergistic Research

All of these have low jitter. There is really no "synergy" here. If they are good, they are good with all DACs."

Add the Bel Canto REF LINK to this list. It is every bit as good as the Off-Ramp 5. See Steven Stone's review in the current issue of TAS.