What To Do?

I'm rebuilding my system.  TT is next.  I have a reliable but dated Music Hall 7.1.  What should I do with $12k?  Buy a new TT and phono preamp or keep the MH and buy a better cartridge and phono preamp?  Thanks in advance for feedback. 

makfour

I am not sure how a turntable can be outdated, said the man with the garrard 301. Read the stereophile review and try their cartridge suggestion before you blow $12K.

The good news is you can get into some really good sounding equipment if carefully chosen.

A really good Phonostage is critical. I would look for something like a used Audio Research PH8 phono stage. This will firmly support a good quality TT from $4K to $30K. 

I would look at VPI with a very good cartridge… I think we would need to know your tastes and other equipment to get very specific on that. 

if you could spring for a bit more I think you could really get into a really amazing system… say ~$5K TT and $2.5K cartridge + the ARC PH8 (this is a really sweet spot… I owned one for years… I now have a ARC Ref 3… which is better… but at also double the cost).