What the Best Dac have you heard or owned. How could you tell it was that good.

I wondered what’s the best sounding dac you have heard or owned. What did it do that the others didn’t. 

calvinj

Showing 1 response by jsalerno277

I am late to the show on this subjective topic … but here is my 2-cents.  
Best DAC in my system - Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC.  Why … Best attributes are excellent micro and macro-dynamics, staging width and depth imaging, bass, treble, and most important- timbre.  Very “analogue” even though I do not like that term but I will since all pro reviews used it.  It is competitive to the best I have heard in all of these areas in a head to head comparison.  It gives up a little in detail retrieval, staging and imaging, but not to a degree commensurate with the increased price of the best I have heard.  

best I have heard in order of my preference…

Mola Mola Tambaqui.  Why … best dense imaging, space between images, and staging width and depth.  Uncanny three dimensional presentation while excellent in all other SQ attributes. 
Bricasti M1S2.  Why … best timbre while excellent in all other SQ attributes.  
DCS Bartok Appex.  Why … excellent in all SQ attributes and like the Tambaqui three dimensional but less dense images and more laid back presentation not to my personal preference.  Fans of a more laid back presentation  (you Denafrips fans), this is the DAC for you if you have the means. Not my cup of tea.  But I respect it highly. 

So I am trying to save my pennies for a Tambaqui. Until then, the 10th lets me go to musical induced euphoria.