What speaker cable made a major difference in the sound quality of your speakers??

I am curious what speaker cables made a big "jaw dropping difference" in the sound quality of your current speakers.  What most impressed you about the difference;  that is, overall musicality, tighter, deeper bass, midrange clarity and soundstage depth, etc.etc. 

Keep the price of the speaker cables chosen or auditioned at  between $800- $1000 or  from  $1000-$1500. Was the cable bought new or used??

Thank you,   SJ

sunnyjim

Showing 7 responses by edward506

Pretty much any 12 gauge speaker wire bought at Home Depot, Lowes or Radio Shack.  If you have the money to buy ludicrously expensive cables, put that money where it counts most and buy better speakers for your ears and tastes or be a slave to cognitive dissonance.
Totally agree Todd.  It's just how human beings work.  Not limited to audio cables. It's true of all of us but especially when we consider ourselves "philes" of any kind. But hey, if you enjoy getting into the mystical nuances of subjectively undectable sonic details and it's worth it to you to do so, then have a blast, I don't really care.  But maybe someone reading this forum does.  After all, this is a place to buy things we otherwise couldn't afford new and so I assume getting ripped off is more painful for those buying here than those with the money to buy new at appointment only audio shops. Your mileage may vary.  Try doing some well controlled double blinds though if your confident.  Just a thought. 
Totally agree Todd.  It's just how human beings work.  Not limited to audio cables. It's true of all of us but especially when we consider ourselves "philes" of any kind. But hey, if you enjoy getting into the mystical nuances of subjectively undectable sonic details and it's worth it to you to do so, then have a blast, I don't really care.  But maybe someone reading this forum does.  After all, this is a place to buy things we otherwise couldn't afford new and so I assume getting ripped off is more painful for those buying here than those with the money to buy new at appointment only audio shops. Your mileage may vary.  Try doing some well controlled double blinds though if your confident.  Just a thought. 
C'mon.  I'm not really the kind of guy who is into giving or not giving permission.  Do what you want. I do have opinions however.  You guys are too touchy.  Have a coke and a smile steakster.    
Not sure on the "@".  I'm new to posting on the forums though I've been collecting listening to and ogling audio gear for over twenty years.  I appreciate that. Fair enough.  I'll do some more listening to various cables.  I still, so far, find the speakers and room acoustics to be the most critical.  But you only know what you know and can be surprised by what you don't.  
Thanks for the responses.  I'll look for that article by Nelson Pass and give it a read.  I'm moving now and will be reconnecting my system.  As good a time as any to try some different cables after I've treated the room. That can get costly quickly doing trial and error so perhaps I'll begin by tinkering with different metals and go the diy route myself.