What self powered speakers of my PC?

I've seen lots of stereo or three piece systems advertized to play music on my PC. What's the best for less then $100. Seems very cheap compared to my Krell/Thiel combo but it seems most PC speaker systems run around $50.
keis

Showing 1 response by luavul1880f

I have a pair of Swans and have been listening for a couple of weeks. I think they are head and shoulders above anything else I have heard. Smooth and warm. I have a pair of Dynaudio 122s and I did a A-B comparison. The Swans are not the Dyns equal by any strech, but they didn't embarass themselves either. No subwoofer, but they go pretty low around true 50Hz. They get pretty loud, but I hear they are optimized for use with audio outputs from stand alone CD players so their input sensivity for full output is around .8V. My computer (onboard sound card) does not seem to have enough voltage out to get the most out of these. They seemed much louder connected to my Sony CD player than the computer. And they are on sale for $199 at av123.com. Beware of the shipping costs though as it cost be $42. Overall I think these are tough to beat, although I have considered getting a cheap subwoofer to fill in the lower frequencies.