What's your experience with fine phono preamp s ?

Arthur Salvatore highly recommends the Coincident Technology Statement phono preamp on his blog. I know nothing about Arthur's listening preferences, so can't know why he feels it superior to other phono pre's.

My table is a Technics SP10, arms are Talea and SME with Benz and AirTight cartridges respectively ( phono cable undetermined for SME arm, open to suggestions on a separate thread --to keeps things 'simple' ) My gear is hybrid, with solid state 100 wpc bass amps, 300B and 6SN7 tubes for mids and tweeters, and JL Audio subs for the bottom octave. The CDP and preamp are solid state and very high quality.

Please weigh in on phono pre's between $2 and 7K that you have owned or heard in systems you know well. I don't have a prejudice or preference for solid state or valve gear, and I'm receptive to used equipment.

I DO, however, strongly prefer an 'I am there' presentation, over 'the musicians are in the room' sensation, when the that's in the vinyl. More interested by far in an emotionally engaging ( not distortedly emotional or euphonic ) listening experience than a precise, highly detailed but soul-less presentation.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and shared experience.

Best,

David
128x128cdk84

Hi Stringreen, Zd542, BPoletti, Jmcgrogan2, Rcprince, Dopogue,Dinster, Lewm, Almarg, Mapman, Bifwynne, Lak and Jperry,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience and opinions. I really appreciate it.

I've taken your suggestions into account and have a much better informed idea on where to look for my phono pre. I'll post in another thread about what I choose, how it interfaces with my gear and if I like it.

Very Best to Each of You,

David
Dear Almarg, You are correct, Emia has gain sufficient for high output cartridges only. However, it is no accident that Dave Slagle is involved with this product. The company markets SUTs designed by Dave to go well with the Emia. I don't know what the SUTs cost (they custom build the SUT to suit the cartridge) but they're probably not cheap.
Check out the Rogue Ares. It was recommended to me as 'the best phono stage under $5000'. I have one now, and it definitely lives up to that, in my experience. Yes, it is a great piece of gear.

Having corresponded with Dave Slagle, I don't know how he would feel about my posting prices for his SUTs. Each would be designed for the two cartridges (Allnic PC1 Supreme and Benz LP-S) I use in my system, because they have very output. Suffice it to say he has been very responsive and helpful via email. I will add that your observation that "they're probably not cheap" is likely to be accurate --wallet dependent, of course.

Thank you very much to everyone for their suggestions. Decision is still pending, as it's a big one for me. I generally aim to make a single purchase and make it as good as I can with the goal of not often having to repeat. You know how goals can be, though...
Cdk84, it is nice to see EMIA being discussed here. I have heard Slagle's products and they are outstanding. If you can afford buying his SUTs which are specifically built for a particular cartridge (and is expensive) nothing like it! If the EMIA phono has an output impedance of 2k then it is definitely a bit of a concern. Check it out.

Personally after many phonostage auditions and trial I am using the Naim Superline with Supercap. It is a no compromise phono. You can read what Fremer has to say about it. Unfortunately these British products are not very popular in US so many top quality products do not get the air time they should on these forums. I have heard a Allnic 1500 phono in my system and it is no match to the Superline. Even tonally the Superline was better even though it is a SS design.