What's the point of reviewing?

What’s up with anyone’s opinion good or worse, unless we have identical equipment and acoustic spaces, it’s mute.

voodoolounge

Showing 2 responses by cd318

@voodoolounge 

You're right in that everyone's rooms, systems, and ears/subjective opinions are different and in no way can replace listening for yourself.

However that isn't always possible so we often turn to second and third hand opinions for further information.

Since most reviews are entirely subjective it can be of considerable help if the reviewer can provide information as to how the product compares with its better known peers.

Comparative reviews are also better because that's what we humans are good at.

And that includes reviewers.

@skyscraper

8th-note, the one thing you’re more likely to get from Audiogon and other sites forum members is honesty about the shortcomings of various products.

Site members will often point out shortcomings of a product that many professional reviewers are loathe to bluntly address.

To the point!

I recall a while back when I needed to replace my car tyre inflator. I read several professional reviews and was disappointed to find that none of them mentioned one huge drawback of most of their recommendations.

Namely that those with a screw on type connector were not only incredibly fiddly to use (risk of thread stripping etc) but in the time it took to remove the connector there would also be a significant loss of tyre pressure too.

I couldn't help but think that either these reviews had been bought or else that the 'reviewers' had simply been echoing each others opinions without testing these devices themselves.

Perhaps some of those old stories were true?

Perhaps some 'talented' reviewers are actually able to review products without feeling the need to unbox them first?