What's been your turntable ownership over the years?

Dual 1225
B&O RX with MMC5 cartridge
Denon DP-59L 
Rega Planar 3
Kenwood KD5070
Harman Kardon T45
Thorens TD-125 mk II w/Rega RB303 arm
128x128lou_setriodes

Showing 2 responses by cd318

First turntable was a Garrard back in the late 70s. I soon got rid of it for a music centre as I knew it must be rubbish. It just looked so retro and old fashioned.

Yes, I was an idiot, but I was a young idiot and had only 'common sense' to go on.

Later I brought a Rega 3. Great no fuss deck, but I increasingly became aware of the performance ceiling that no suspension mods or cartridge upgrades could do much about.

So I eventually moved to the highly worshipped Linn LP12 with the Ittok arm that many claimed was state of the art.

It was a definite upgrade, more scale more bandwidth, but eventually performance/setup inconsistencies and a growing awareness of that either  you love or hate Linn colouration, plus the arrival of first child and unavailability of certain releases on vinyl, all led me to temporarily ditch vinyl.

Nowadays I look forward to getting back into vinyl at some point. Probably via one of the Technics SL 1200 decks.

For me being an audiophile and vinyl enthusiast are inseparable.
I started off with a BSR turntable and then foolishly got rid of a Garrard deck my dad gave me to ’upgrade’ to the well reviewed Rega 3.

Eventually I upgraded again to the even better reviewed Linn LP12 - and that particular headache inducing deck was one ’upgrade’ too many.

However I am not beaten yet. I would love to return to vinyl one day via either the obvious Technics SL1200G (or even GR), or if I ever get enough free time to play with audio again, one of Ed Villchur’s original AR decks.