what’s a song cover that you think is better than the original?

The first ones to come to mind are Whitney’s version of I Will Always Love You and Allen Stone’s Georgia On My Mind but I would love to hear other contributions as well! I feel like there are a lot of songs where a covered version gets more popular than the original and people end up not realizing that it is a cover (ex. i had a friend that genuinely believed the Jonas Brothers wrote Year 3000). so, what‘a a song that was written by one artist but (figuratively) owned by another?

kazana

@richopp, I also like Linda Ronstadt's version of "Tracks of my Tears" better than Smokey Robinson's.

@dekay, love that version of "Smoke on the Water" that you sent.  Really cool!

Here's are few covers that come to my mind:

• Come Together - Aerosmith
  • First Cut is the Deepest - Rod Stewart, and also Sheryl Crow
  • Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows

1. Paul Simon's "The Sound of Silence" covered by Disturbed. Please just take the time to listen to it once, you may be surprised.

2. Leonard Cohen's Manhattan by Monsieur Camembert.

SRV  Voodoo child

Diana Ankudinova  Wicked Game & Can't help falling in love

I don't know if it's better than the original, 'cause 'Billie Jean' was a pretty great song to begin with, but the late, great Chris Cornell slowed it down to almost a blues type of song, and he puts so much feeling into the lyrics; I really understood stuff about that song I hadn't realized, 'cause Chris forces you into the words; nobody's dancing to his version.

He did some pretty inspired cover versions; he's got a recording of 'A Day In The Life' that was recorded live at Royal Albert Hall, and I think John Lennon would have been mighty pleased. He even does those 'AHHHH's before the final verse in a way that sent chills down the ol' spine...