what really happened to j. skul

why did j skul get fired from stereophile?
capeguy
dekay,don't know what that means, but i guess it can't be very good. you should relax take your prozac and try your very best to get that job.
Well, in this thread we have basically sealed the deal for me.

One thing Jonathan Scull always seemed to do was monopolize everything. The best equipment, the leading reviewer, the conversation, this thread... Perhaps it is insecurity. Perhaps he is a control freak. Perhaps he feels he is better than everyone else.

He defends his reviewing all the exotic audio jewelry as if, as I had asked, he was christened to live that life. A little message to you J10 - we are all cut from the same cloth. In my opinion, there are no kings, and there are no serfs. We all should spend time in the penthouse, the outhouse, and on the street. You seem to think as if you are on a higher plane. Believe this, I would have held you in much higher regard if you had taken the time to review something like the Cambridge Audio D500SE.

The Richard Gray Power Company component was expensive? It wouldn't pay for one of your gilded interconnects/speaker cables/power cords. Aren't you the one who recommended the Accuphase monoblocks be used with a power conditioner which cost more than most people's power amps?

As I said, you did a nice job in going over the physical layout of the component. In fact, I don't think that I have read anyone do a better job. Kudos. I wish the rest of your reviews followed suit. Really, I do.

The "don't get your bowels in an uproar" comment was something you used in several of your columns, and is no more cute today than it was then. I am sure you could sprinkle in a few of your father's many other favorite sayings. You may feel you are entertaining, but I don't.

I have NEVER accused Stereophile of taking money for reviews. Your reaction to my bringing up the fact that some people feel this way obviously shows you are overly defensive of the matter. Your problem, not mine...

Playing the "who do you think you are" card is the cheapest trick around. It never shows any basis in position, and I have always found it the height of arrogance. It is usually used by the "priveleged" when addressing the "uppity" when the latter hold the position in argument over the former. Don't use that crap on me, you better bring something more powerful when you take part in discussion. This isn't a magazine. This isn't a monologue. Your opinion is no more important than mine. And, this time, you don't get to write a snappy reply at the end of someone's letter to the editor; ending the discussion with you having the upper hand.

By the way, thanks for the suggestion of writing to the editor. Real insight there. I have never written one, but would if an issue so moved me. Personally, I prefer Audiogon as the forum for my audio discussion.

For your information, I do not hide from anything, and will tell you who I am - Joe Trelli -> Trelja -> TRELJA@aol.com. I have been an active member of Audiogon for a few years. People know me well here, and I have always stood by my opinions. As you stated, credibility is important. I go about establishing mine here by offering heartfelt opinion, actual experience, consistent position, and not running away from situations that call for one to stand up for themselves.

This will be the last time I write these words in this thread, but again, I never liked your reviewing style. I want to establish that I will not only say these things when the recipient is not around. I found you spending too much energy on both the praise and prose to carry any influence with me. As I stated, I felt there was not enough tangible opinion for me to get a grip on the sonics of a component. You state others feel differently. Fine. Despite me having a different audio philosophy than JA, I feel as if I am informed after his reviews.

I feel that Stereophile is now on the upswing, and the past few issues have provided me a lot more satisfaction for my investment. Part of that is the fact that you no longer are part of the review team. I did write on this very site before you were let go that I wish that your relationship with the magazine would be lessened/terminated. From what I read here, you are making a better living at Monster Cable. I guess we both win!!!
> 02-17-03: Trelja

Well... well... Houston, I see we have a problem.

> Well, in this thread we have basically sealed the deal for me. <

You have made up your mind then. I heard it pounding shut. Okay. I like open minds. I suspect audiophile minds have to be open. How else to learn about different music?

As you abundantly make clear, your mind is closed.

Such is life. There are people like you, as insulting and misunderstanding as they can be, revealing themselves far more than their supposed "victim".

The HUGE chip on your shoulder makes conversation impossible, and finger-wagging lecture inevitable. If not worse, as, shudents, we continue down the nutball ward of audiophiles who flipped out from too much "critical listening" gas in their intestines which goes straight to the head.

> One thing Jonathan Scull always seemed to do was monopolize everything. The best equipment, the leading reviewer, the conversation, this thread... Perhaps it is insecurity. Perhaps he is a control freak. Perhaps he feels he is better than everyone else.<

Uh, heh heh, maybe it's a massive case of projection.

Get over it. It shouldn't define your life.

I tried to involve my writing and reviewing with life and experience. That was my way. Love it or leave it. It was immense fun "presenting" as cost-no-object-joe-millionaire (body only, well, looks too, but MY BRAIN!

insert evil laff here.

> He defends

I do not! I followed my instincts, our muse, as free to practise, and that's where I took me. I loved it, I learned a craft and learned to communicate with others about it.

> his reviewing all the exotic audio jewelry as if, as I had asked, he was christened to live that life.<

You make me laugh. No one is born to it. You love it or you don't. If you do, watch out! Higher resolution leads to more warts revealed, leads to... audiophilus nervosus. Which I fear you have a bad case of...

> A little message to you J10 - we are all cut from the same cloth.<

Indeed. I was a journalist, a computer job recruiter, and owner/driver in the 80s of a limousine company... I did lots of stuff, like anyone who grows up. Life teaches the real lessons, wouldn't you say?

> In my opinion, there are no kings, and there are no serfs.<

You're mad. I'm an east-coast liberal democrat of the worst kind and believe in plurasism. And Gore even. If I had to. I actually rebel when presented with old-country feudalism.

> We all should spend time in the penthouse, the outhouse, and on the street.<

You see, you insult curiously as if YOU want to feel suprior or something... you can't imagine life in the front seat of a limo late at night watching drunks get rolled by whores at the entrance to the Park Aven Tunnel. What do you really know, you see? Finger-wagging for naught, my friend. I've been there. that's how you become a journalist, and maybe play it up because you can, because that's what your instincts tell you to do, but ALWAYS with integrity, mon ami.

> You seem to think as if you are on a higher plane.

All audiophiles are in the same plane. To doom and perdition, to always wanting more and better, seeking the chakra truth of life from music's rhythm that describes them perfectly.

> Believe this

Cape and tight clothes, ruffling breeze, supervillan at your feet? Just wondering... acting out and all that...

> I would have held you in much higher regard if you had taken the time to review something like the Cambridge Audio D500SE. <

Ah, well, you see, you sanctimonious... er, stay high-minded Jonathan. Ahem. Sizzle. I had **caused** on **many** occasions, our reviewers, who SPECIALIZED in those type of systems, to review them and encourage them to succeed and stick around a few years. As I absolutely did. You may not have seen my work in those matters, but there it is. To balance the mid-stuff, and the high stuff I did. Why compare a small British integrated to 16K of Krell monoblock? What would be the effing point, stranger?

However, there is no one "intervening" now, so, as a member of the public, I can only guess that the reviewers are pitching ideas straight to JA now.

> Aren't you the one who recommended the Accuphase monoblocks be used with a power conditioner which cost more than most people's power amps?

No.I said they were great amps, and could sound even more terrific if they used the full power treatment. Buying at that level, it might be a factor. But *I* recommend everyone finds out what turns them on and do it! Not *at all* that I have the biggest "package" and can whip any pussy on the block. Please, such ridiculous behavior?

> Really, I do.

Patronization is always an ugly, cheap little upper-class conceit of superiority. Now I ask you directly, who's being a superior-wanna-be?

> The "don't get your bowels in an uproar" comment was something you used in several of your columns <

You see, I am SO compliemented that your read my columns with such, with such... what would you call it?

> and is no more cute today than it was then.

Thank you for yoru observation. Thinking of the old bastard recently.

> I am sure you could sprinkle in a few of your father's many other favorite sayings. You may feel you are entertaining, but I don't. <

Alas. So be it.

> I have NEVER accused Stereophile of taking money for reviews. Your reaction to my bringing up the fact that some people feel this way obviously shows you are overly defensive of the matter. Your problem, not mine...<

You can lay a trap, snap it, then look aside, oh, that's not my mess... elaborate games are a sign of stress, I think.

Playing the "who do you think you are" card is> the cheapest trick around. It never shows any basis in position, and I have always found it the height of arrogance.<

Question is, are you referring to yourself? There wre a few people who mistook my writing persona for real life, a fault you seem to have developed in your congnitive thinking process. Yes, I was a journalist, I created a reviewing persona, but hat was not in all cases a review of our life. Life is not a video game. But I always did with total, maximum effort to my particular view of things, enhanced by many listening sessions, lots of other systems and equipment, and live music.

> It is usually used by the "priveleged" when addressing the "uppity" when the latter hold the position in argument over the former.<

Whew. Get thee hence, old chap.

> Don't use that crap on me

Whew, now we have the real construction worker other part of your personality?

> you better bring something more powerful when you take part in discussion. This isn't a magazine. <

You forgot the "you know". I bring what I bring, my friend, and that's it. Don't like it, move on. Live with it.

> This isn't a monologue. Your opinion is no more important than mine.<

I have always encouraged audiophiles to learn, grow and prosper, educate their ears, and become their own experts and not blindly take the word of others. Always. You seem incredibly... unaware of what you're obviously so sore about.

> And, this time, you don't get to write a snappy reply at the end of someone's letter to the editor<

Kind of like a big guy with a hardhat leaning his way into the space of the dude he is yelling at... no snappy replies, eh? You drive a tuff bargain, whoever you are.

> ending the discussion with you having the upper hand.

Please feel free...

> By the way, thanks for the suggestion of writing to the editor. Real insight there.<

I understand, you need it spelled out for you, you don't like reading and thinking. Okay. I have null effect on what's reviewed or how now, please apply within. And that's it. They call it professional. You?

> I have never written one, but would if an issue so moved me. Personally, I prefer Audiogon as the forum for my audio discussion.<

Where you can air your dirty laundry and spread uncontested tripe. I see... That's a pretty easy way out. No peer review. Just, whatever.

> For your information

He said, turning purple... cords standing out in neck...

> I do not hide from anything, and will tell you who I am - Joe Trelli -> Trelja -> TRELJA@aol.com. I have been an active member of Audiogon for a few years. People know me well here, and I have always stood by my opinions.<

Whew, you are *some* tuffguy. I guess I know who you are now. Please, STAND by your opinion, just don't be so insulitng about others'. I mean, what compells you?

> As you stated, credibility is important. I go about
establishing mine here by offering heartfelt opinion, actual experience, consistent position, and not running away from situations that call for one to stand up for themselves.<

I... I'm speechless. Your heartfelt opinion, actual experiences, consistent positions... and that business of running away, I just don't get it. How are we so terribly different? What IS your problem really?

> This will be the last time I write these words

Very huffy and Victorian, but be as you must...

> in this thread, but again, I never liked your reviewing style.<

Well I would'a fell down laughing if you'd suddenly said you did! I think I'll fall down laughing anyway.

> I want to establish that I will not only say these things when the recipient is not around. I found you spending too much energy on both the praise and prose to carry any influence with me.<

Well **sigh** I stand informed.

> As I stated

Very prim... good arguments don't need repetition.

> I felt there was not enough tangible opinion...
> Fine. Despite me having a different audio philosophy than JA, I feel as if I am informed after his reviews.<

Well that's wonderful! What's the problem, for heaven's sake then?

> I feel that Stereophile is now on the upswing, and the past few issues have provided me a lot more satisfaction for my investment.<

Excellent news for the entire industry.

> Part of that is the fact that you no longer are part of the review team.>

**sigh**
Smeck smeck, as Steven Allen used to say.
I'll just have a cocktail while you whale away, okay? I get it, you don't like my writing. Thanks for the feedback. Really. Enough did to perpetuate it, that's all I'll say.

> I did write on this very site before you were let go that I wish that your relationship with the magazine would be lessened/terminated.<

So it WAS your fault!

> From what I read here, you are making a better living at Monster Cable. I guess we both win!!! <

Truer words were never spoken.
Enjoy.
JS
j10,your an "east-coast liberal democrat of the worst kind"as if there was any other kind. i thought larry archibald was the resident left winger on stereophile. i take back all the nice things i said about you now that your out of the closet.heh,heh,yuk, yuk. saw your column on monster,same old js but with a better picture,see what money will do. heh, heh.
J 10 it would not be a problem to name names, but since this was reported to me in confidence and the source is well known to many here I would not do the discourtesy to someone I respect (as oppossed to the discourtesy to someone I do not respect.)
They were supposedly your former friends!?! But I guess I would want to cast my own termination in the best possible light too, so I'm not surprised by your remarks.
Good luck at Monster Cable.