What Possessed Me to Do This?

We are working on "de-cluttering" our home to list it for sale in April, need to have my "man cave" painted first.  To prepare for the painters' arrival, am boxing up my audio system, moving the components to a "climate controlled" storage unit.  I got the lighter stuff boxed up without assistance.  My son helped me place my 110# power amp on the carpeted floor, flip it over to bolt it to the plywood for the base of the inner carton, eventually getting it boxed and double-boxed, taped up and ready to go.  One of my son's friends is coming over for dinner, to help box up a pair of 122# speakers and a pair of 133# sub woofers.

What possessed me to get equipment that weighs so much?
ejr1953

Showing 5 responses by noble100

Sell everything except the speakers and subs and buy some high quality class D amps that are about 20% the size and weight of your current amps and enjoy at least equal or better system performance.  Plus they'll pay for themselves over a number of years with significantly smaller electricity costs, even if you leave them on 24/7.  Let the buyers carry them out.

You're welcome,
       Tim
Hello wolfie62,

C'mon, get the rhythm, get the rhythm.
     Okay, now you've got the rhythm, now you've got the friggin rhythm.
     Good job!

Thanks,
   Tim
   So, the general consensus on this thread is that weight is a good indicator of quality in home audio amplifiers?  Do those numerous posters agreeing with this maxim also believe that price is a good indicator of home audio amp quality?  
     Or that age is a good indicator of wisdom?
     Or its implication, that youth is a good indication of a lack of wisdom?
     As a 60 something individual and based on my personal 40+ years of home audio/video experience, I just wanted to chime in and definitively state that all the above mentioned maxims are demonstrably false.  
     My opinion is that individuals believing in, or propagating, these falsehoods are very good indicators of a lack of knowledge, awareness and experience with the home audio amplifier technology advancements made over the past 70 years in terms of amplifier SNR (signal to noise ratio), distortion, dynamic range, accuracy, optimum operating temperature, electrical efficiency, affordability as well as their physical size and weight.
     Of course, aversion to change, lack of open mindedness, blind faith and stubbornness are not rare traits in the annals of human history.  Apparently, however, these traits are effective in perpetuating false information on this particular audio subject.

Tim
bob540: "we are guys, and guys like over-sized and heavy stuff. Why buy a zippy car with a 2.0 liter engine and fuel injection that putts around when we can get a screaming/snarling car with 427 ci and a 4 barrel carb? Why use a shovel and wheelbarrow to dig a hole when we can rent/buy a Bobcat or a backhoe? Cause we’re men! And we can!"

Hello Bob,

Similar to other posters on this thread not keeping up to date on audio amp technology, you apparently have the same deficiency with regards to auto technology.
I coincidently drive a VW Golf R that is exactly what you describe as not preferring in comparison to a large V8 with 4 barrel natural aspiration: "Why buy a zippy car with a 2.0 liter engine and fuel injection that putts around when we can get a screaming/snarling car with 427 ci and a 4 barrel carb?"
My intention of this post is to help you keep up to date on what my 2017 Golf R, with a 2.0 liter 4cyl fuel injected engine and about a $15K full "Gonzo" level series of modifications by APR is capable of. Here’s a review of my car, less the body wrap and full lowering springs, that gives a good demonstration of my car’s capabilities from only a 2.0 liter engine with intake, intercooler, turbo, ECU tuning, drivetrain, stabilizer bar and exhaust mods performed: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwdGrSWJHdM

As you can see, a car capable of much more than puttering around and it also has 4-wheel drive and is capable of getting over 30 mpg in ECO mode. My wife and I call it the Grocery Grabber.

Tim

I believe we're all well aware that weight is obviously the single most important indicator of quality in audio equipment, just as it absolutely is in selecting our wives and how doctors determine the quality level of our health. 
     Extensive scientific research has empirically established that physical size, color, smell and taste are the other main determinants of audio equipment quality.  Please utilize and prioritize this vital information wisely to determine all of your present and future audio acquisitions.

Tim