What of your CD's have good sonics?

I have been amazed at the number of CD's are so bad I can't bare to listen to them on my system. It seems like over half are difficult to listen to. Vinyl seems about the same. I have been buying some classic rock albums from a local used record store and am surprised at how many of them sound bad. Most of the jazz albums I buy are usually quite good. How is it with you guys?
catfishbob
I certainly can't disagree with any opinions that have been given here. It's just that I am amazed at the difference in two CDs. One will grab me and pull me in and another will be unbearable.
Dorkwad,(gotta love that name)I have several of the albums on your list. I have the Rickie Lee Jones on L.P. and it is a truly awesome recording.
I'll look into some of this CD reviving technology you guys are referring too.
By the way, my subject line was supposed to read,"What % of your CDs have good sonics" Somehow the % was left out.
Hi CatfishBob, I was curious if your system and room are still the same as discussed in your earlier "my system" thread? If we haven't heard your system, it's hard for someone discussing this topic to tell if we're taking about Elizabeth's "critical listening syndrome always engaged" vs. a more mundane room/hardware interaction problem. In past domiciles I've occupied, I always found abundant glass and hardwood floors created more difficult listening environments.
Photon....yes it is the same system. Most of my floors are covered in thick rugs with pads. I have blackout roman shades and draperies covering the various windows.
I did get a remarkable upgrade with the tube rolling I did. I presume that I probably need some acoustical treatment, but I have no slap echo or anything like that. As always....thanks for your help
Very interesting thread. I don't do much critical listening (and have never had the system to warrant it!), but have always been struck by discs that sounded particularly good. About a year ago, I started making some upgrades and found that, while some things sounded amazingly good (Jeff Buckley and the last couple of Radiohead and Wilco albums, for example), the distance between good recordings and bad was substantial -- so great that some music I like was hard to enjoy (Squeeze reissues, Oasis, Husker Du). My current system has closed the gap. The good stuff (sound quality wise) still sounds good, but the bad stuff is way better. I can still hear the difference, but it's not distracting.
stehno:

you make some good points.

howevere, ultimately each one of uds has to decide why we listen to music and our expectations that result from such an experience.

i think one's stereo system refelects, implicitly that choice.

as a reviewer i have written about this psychological issue in the form of a question:

"what is the purpose of a stereo system ?"

there are several considerations of a non musical nature, such as those that concern physiological factors, such as its soporofic abilities and its palliative effects relating to health issuess.

thus, i think elizabeth's issues are irrelevant, whereas, why one listens to music is the issue here.

it's not the equipment, rather its about the psychology of human behavior--listening to music.

thus, i would say, it's not the sonics, but rather the affect upon the sonics upon one's "psyche" that is the relevant question.

don't place the cart before the horse.