What makes a speaker sound great at low volume?

Most of the time I hear music at a low volume (wifey, apartment, ....). 

I am looking to upgrade my current speakers, but in my market scanning I would like to understand, if there are certain “metrics” to look for, before I start going to stores for listening. 

Any advice? 
mtraesbo

Showing 1 response by noble100

Interestingly, I noticed an unexpected improved low volume listening performance when I switched amp type from an Aragon class AB to a class D amp of about the same wattage.  The improvement was significant even though I was using an older pair of Magnepan 2.7QR large panel spkrs that are fairly inefficient (87db @ 1 W).  
     I'm familiar with 'loudness' controls and would equate the improvement to their affect; a perceived increase in the bass and treble to compensate for the proven reduction in perceived bass and treble when listening at low volumes.  
     What I found especially noticeable and beneficial with the class D amp performance was that the proper bass and treble presence maintained its proportional accuracy at all volume levels, from soft to very loud as if there was a 'loudness control' continuously engaged. 
      I cannot verify that all class D amps share this ability, however, I currently own 3 different brands of class D amps (ClassD Audio, Emerald Physics and D-Sonic) and they all share this ability or characteristic. 
     I would also agree with the several other responses on this thread that  stated moderately high efficiency speakers would be beneficial for improved low volume listening performance.

Tim