What is your recommendation on upgrading a Linn LP

Here is what I own. A 1984-1985 Linn with BASIK PLUS ARM and no Valhalla. Other wise it is stock. What is my best course? 1) Buy a new component (Linn)and add upgrades I like. 2) Buy parts as they become available on Audiogon and build a top grade player with my old once as a starting point 3. Buy a used player that meets my needs and wishes.

I look forward to your help
schatzman
Firstly, that depends on your subjective definition of "better".

Secondly, turntable design is not as straightforward as ya might think so ya may be astonished to know that your "better" (insert as applicable) design has flaws.
(This also means that the LP12 has its own flaws).
If we're referring to VPI(?), until recently, their "engineering solution" to the problem of anti-skate was to twist the tonearm wires if required...
It's great when a manufacturer can omit a moderately costly engineering feature then advertise this absence as a "strength" thereby saving himself money but charging you more for the end product because it's "stronger". It's a win-win.

Thirdly, I'll leave it to the Schatzman to decide whether your advice is relevant or not.

Fourthly, if you are a particular turntable dealer or manufacturer who has infiltrated a Forum I am sure it's entirely relevant.
Add a Linn Itok LVII tonearm and a Hercules power supply and sit back and enyoy your table. While you at it, give your table a good tune-up; new oil, springs, gromets,etc.
I have a friend with LP12/Valhalla/Ittok and a top VPI. Guess which one gets more involved?
Add a Linn Itok LVII tonearm and a Hercules power supply and sit back and enyoy your table. While you at it, give your table a good tune-up; new oil, springs, gromets,etc.

For the price of an arm, power supply,springs etc etc one can get a nice used VPI complete,lol..not such a good thought IMO....

Firstly, that depends on your subjective definition of "better". ;^)...forgot I was dealing with "audiophiles",sorry wont make that statement again

Fourthly, if you are a particular turntable dealer or manufacturer who has infiltrated a Forum I am sure it's entirely relevant. ;^)...I think analog and all its hassles is inferior to so it certainly doesn't apply to me