What is the value of Classe P401 ?

Hi,I am every week reader but first time posting here. My Classe P401 (400W/Ch at 8ohm, 800W/ch at 4 Ohm), a predecessor of CA-401, developed some noise on both channels so I shipped it to factory for checkup and possible repair. It was otherwise working just fine. Without naming the packing and delivery company here, I want to say it was both externally and internally damaged when it arrived at repair facility. It wont even turn on, heatsinks were bent, handles we bent, the transformer cover was broken inside, so it did look like it took a serious hit. The repair cost estimated by the company is over 5000 dollars, I think because now they have to check everywhere as the unit does not even turn on. I had declared the value of the amp at 5000 dollars, I thought was a fair upper limit for value for a 400W/ch high end amplifier given it is over 25 years old. I have filed a claim with the packing/delivery company but it keeps getting rejected because they cannot establish its value. The only place they can establish a value is from some used goods website which tells them that the value is 3 dollars (quite a joke but people who have to pay a claim would love it :-)). The only other place I can find the value of this amp is with a Chinese seller who lists it at close to 4000 US dollars, but the company will not accept a foreign value, which honestly is a lame excuse because we trade with China for everything and the conversion value is well established by Federal Reserve (I sent them the conversion and also the phone number of the vendor in China). So I am wondering if anyone here has the same amp and what would you all think is the fair value of this amp ? Thanks in advance
saumil
Hi all,
Good news, the carrier accepted the settlement amount I had sent their legal department in my demand letter. A check for $3113.50 is on the way. So there are people with some common sense and can immediately see that the value of a classic amp like P-401 is not $3.Thanks everyone for suggestions.Best, Saumil
WHAT !!! ???
really???  TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
never have I ever heard of a shipping co. Actually paying out for the damage THEY did during shipping.

Wow, the best bet is using a legal dept. 

also: they are not giving you a value towards an amplifier, they are simply afraid of any media coverage, or paying more to you if they chose to fight your legal action, which would cost them more in the long run, as this was NOT your fault, and them actually paying out is a miracle!!

This is great news!  
  CONGRATS!!, keep us informed as to the finished outcome
Yeah, it was not very difficult I think.The key is to not give up after the first level of rejection. The manager of the agent I was working with called me when I asked the agent to escalate the case, and I just asked him if he can do anything to change the outcome and he said no. So that was the end of discussion with claim agents.The next step is to send a demand letter to the legal department. This was a 1 page letter that in my case contained:1. description of what I did, i.e. took a working unit to Fedex Office, they packed it, they shipped it and it arrived at the destination with extensive damage. I also put in the letter that I declared the value as 5000 and that the ageng charged me extra for the high value.2. what is the single issue that is being contested. In my case it was the value of the amplifier. Then I showed 3 different pieces of evidence that the value they were proposing ($3) was totally unreasonable. a, I showed them the value of an exact item for sale right now in China, then, b,  I showed them the letter from company that said that CA-401 and P-401 are equivalent, then I showed them the graph of used CA-401 prices (from Audiogon) and c. I showed them the value of CA-201 on ebay and computed twice that price (also an idea from Audiogon). And all 3 calculations came to close to 4000. Then I took 25% off the lowest calculation and put that as my estimated price.3. the options for remedy of the damage.  I gave them 3 options, a. fix my amp, b. replace my amp or c. pay me the above estimated price + shipping4. gave them 3 weeks to respond, if they did not I would take them to small claim's court5. Asked them to only respond by email or regular mail.Thats it. So folks here at Audiogon contributed for sure in this success.
If anyone wants to see the letter, I can show it.Best, Saumil