What is the best tonearm for a SOTA Nova turntable?

I haven't played an LP for a while now. I've moved from CD's to streaming both Tidal and my own rips from a Roon Nucleus plus. My SOTA Nova with an ET2 arm has been sitting idle along with hundreds of high quality LP's. I've heard that the ET2 is not a good match with the SOTA, and may be the weak point in my analog chain. (SOTA-ET2-Lyra Kleos -Allnic 1201 phono stage- ARC Ref6- PS Audio-BHK300 amps-Reference 3a Grand Veena speakers and unnamed sub system. 

My digital system with a Holo May DAC and Roon with HQP trounces the analog system pretty soundly.

I'd like to resurrect the analog system as I have read that I'm missing out not using it.

My question is, where can I make the most improvement for the least cash outlay?

I'd like to keep the SOTA table, but everything else is expendable.

Thanks in advance for some help.

-John

gyneguy225

Showing 21 responses by gyneguy225

I've used moving coil cartridges since 1975 when I bought a  Denon 103C. Supex was next. I had a Naim preamp with MC phono card. For a while I was happy with a Linn turntable-Grace 707arm- Supex E+Super feeding my Naim preamp. Then along came ARC preamps (SP10 to start) which changed everything.

I won't be going back to MM cartridges, but I would like to get back my ARC ph5 which I traded for the Allnic. -stupid move!

Hey Spencer

I'm just exploring all the options at this point. The SME is a really good recommendation and I thank you. I may give Donna at Sota a call on Monday. She's always been pleasant and very helpful. I honestly don't know much about the SME arms. I do know that the Cosmos armboard on the Nova would have to be changed out with the ET2. Every tonearm requires its own specially drilled armboard. At least the geometry is already worked out at Sota, and the arm and board are basically dropped into place and fixed with 3 screws.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about selling the Allnic 1201 and replacing it with the PS Audio Stellar phono preamp which is only $2400 new with a 30 day return policy. I like that it has balanced outputs and that Michael Fremmer thought it was a good buy.  The tonearm you recommended is a bit too exotic for me. I couldn't find a list price, but if it's custom made in the Netherlands, it will break my bank.

The ET2 is a floating tangential design which I've always liked, but it's not very good on a turntable with floating subchasis . The SME,Graham or Triplanar would be more appropriate.

I've considered an ARC Ref3 phono preamp. It's expensive but if it improves my system as much as the ARCRef6 preamp did, it's worth it.

-What a pipe dream.

I might have to keep the ET2. I have a lot of time and effort invested into it, like a metal base, titanium wand, two German pumps working out of phase, and two home made surge tanks. Arms have gotten expensive. The ET@ was $1200 back in 1990 or thereabouts. The Sota table was about the same, but it's been upgraded. I just remembered that I sold my Lyra Kleos, and all I can afford at this point is a Lyra Delos or a Hana which I've heard good things about. Right now I'm using an Audioquest 7000 NSX which was designed by Lyra.

I just looked at a Manley and a Sutherland phono preamp, both used at around $3000

Digital streaming is looking pretty good at this point.😁  

I think my purchase of the Allnic 1201 was an impulse buy, and I would be quick to sell that item before anything else in the chain. I'm considering the Parasound Halo JC3+ which was designed by John Curl who designed the Vendetta phono preamp many years ago. The balanced outputs are essential as my analog rig is about 20ft from my preamp. Right now I convert the output of the Allnic from RCA to balanced with an ARC BL1. -What a pain in the butt!

Just bought a second hand Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge. The phono preamp is next on my list.

You guys are pretty eager to spend my funds.😁 I'm listening to the Keseki cartridge for a while before I decide what to do next.

I'm leaning toward the ARCRef3 phono. It may be expensive but apparently it's the best in the US and holds its value. It's a good mate for my ARC REF6 preamp.

For a while, I thought that vinyl was fading, but it seems to be making a comeback.

Audio is my hobby. So, I guess it's ok to spend some money on it. I don't drive fast expensive cars. What's a retired 71 yo to do?

I spoke to Donna today, and she still recommends the Origin live tonearm.

I found out that there are a number of upgrades for my 30 year old SOTA for about $3000 total, but I'll still have a 30yo turntable. I'm stepping back a bit, and considering that it will cost me a fortune to get the analog system to sound anywhere near as good as my digital. So, I'll see how it sounds with the Kiseki cartridge, and decide whether to go forward from there or give up.

@mijostyn 

Good information! I'm considering the Sutherland Little Loco. ($3300 vs $11000 for the ARCRef3.) The Kiseki will match up well with the Sutherland. It's low output, MC, and has an internal impedance of 6 ohms. It starts to add up fast when I combine the Sutherland for $3300, $3000 to upgrade the Sota, and a new tonearm for thousands more. I'm not sure of the price of the tonearms like the Schroder, Kuzma,or the SME, but certainly not chicken feed I suppose.😉

I love my lp's but not THAT much!

That's a pretty exotic gizmo. Only accepts a balanced phono signal? Probably not for me.

The ET2 has no gimbles to wear out or loosen up. It is air bearing and that's one of its pluses. I can sling some solder but my eyes are so bad, I couldn't see those tonearm wires to solder them. Melting away the insulation is trouble as well.

My new cartridge arrives in a few days and I'll report back about it. That will determine my next move.

My Kiseki purple heart cartridge arrived this afternoon. I hope that it lives up to its reputation. I'll mount it and do some listening tomorrow.

I've been browsing used turntables, and rebuilding my Sota nova for $3000 is looking better. Tonearms are pretty pricey as well. I considered a VPI. I saw a VPI Prime 21 3d gimbaled tonearm with tonearm weight for $3650. It's tempting to go for something new but I'm somewhat attached to my linear tracking arm with an air bearing suspension. 

I guess it all depends on how the new cartridge sounds.

Has anyone here some experience with VPI tables?

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the VPI info. I read a review of the Kiseki purple heart by Jim Hannon at  TAS and he was pretty impressed, comparing it to some Koetsu’s. The ET2 was one of the arms he used in the review. I have the cartridge mounted but haven’t listened yet. It was a tense install as I received no stylus guard with the cartridge. Now, I need to set tracking force, VTA, and azimuth. I’m savoring this stuff, and listening can wait til tomorrow. I wanted a new cartridge but all of the Kiseki’s are sold out. Needless to say I’m stoked about listening tomorrow

I finally got the Kiseki mounted and set up. It sounds pretty nice. I listened to "Cantata Domino" and Jazz at the Pawn shop, both Proprius recordings. I'll listen some more this afternoon, but my comparison to digital streaming is still that with digital, voices and instruments come out of a darkness that analog can't match. Of course the dynamic range of digital is much better. Soundstage and imaging is better with digital as well. But perhaps, analog sounds a bit more real.

I doubt that a new table  or arm, or phono stage is going to fix these deficiencies unless I spend a whole lot of money. 

I decided to try a PS Audio Stellar phono preamp and decide whether Michael Fremer was right with his glowing review. I can't lose. PSA gave me a $3000 trade in on my Allnic 1201 phono preamp, with $700 applied to the purchase and the rest in my account at PSA. I have 30 days from delivery to decide which sounds better. If the PSA preamp doesn't measure up it goes back. Nothing compares to an in home audition. I consider that a great deal.

I listened to my new PSA Stellar phono, playing my used Kiseki purple heart cartridge last night. It's a keeper and confirmed my suspicion that the Allnic 1201 phono preamp was my problem. The Kiseki cartridge is a real winner and it's obvious why it's sold out and unobtainable on the market new at present. It's smoother on the highs and surface noise is almost unnoticeable. It betters my old Lyra Kleos by a lot. I was pretty much blown away, and will probably stick with my old ET2 arm and Sota Nova table. The Stellar phono plays way above its price point, and I don't regret not spending more on an ARC product. The savings will probably  go into an upgrade on the Sota table. 

@Dover thanks for the sota advice. I dread diassembling the turntable. I've done it before when I had my sota star sapphire upgraded to the Nova. I changed out the springs myself back in the 90's, but this time I'll let Sota do it right. I might get the floating platter upgrade at the same time. It will be expensive. So, that's down the road a bit. I just purchased the Kiseki cartridge and Stellar preamp, and my conscience won't let me spend more at present.