What is the best DAC ever made?

Hello,

Just looking for some imput on high quality DAC's...I have owned a number over some time and have loved and lost them...Currently I am using the Classe DAC-1 to great pleasure...Just thought I would ask others what they thought!
bearotti
Dev, did you, like Teejay, also have an opportunity to compare the Tube DAC with the DAC MKIV? I´m not sure why, but I do get the idea, that all the DACs discussed are beyond bad, all quite excellent, but we like to find differences; what a hobby is really all about. The new EMM Labs gear has me interested, but of course so much of this gear is actually difficult to audition, but under show conditions at RMAF or something like that.

The Berkeley is a very fine DAC, no doubt about it, but the best DAC ever made? That's a tough one!
Who knows what the best DAC is? No one can try every one of them. But I have tried recently in my system, the Ayre QB-9, Levinson, DCS Scarlatti and the Berkeley, and the Berkeley is my favourite. The preference is large in all cases except the DCS.
I can't speak to what Alex is or isn't doing. I currently have his prototype Super-DAC and am breaking it in.

I've read a number of positive things about Audio Note DACs and am still wondering if anyone either has one or has heard one.

Thanks.