What is the best BNC Digital Cable under $4,000?

I'm looking at the Synergistic Research Galileo UEF Digital BNC. As well as the Wave High Fidelity Cable and the High Fidelity Reveal BNC and the Black Cat Tron Ditial Cables, respectively.  What do you consider the best Digital BNC cable under $4K?
mrc4u

Showing 2 responses by almarg

Mzkmxcv 6-2-2019

If the data is reclocked, then the amount of jitter caused by the cable or the source is irrelevant as long as the clock doesn’t lose lock.

This assumes that the reclocking circuitry performs in a theoretically ideal manner. Meaning that it reduces jitter to zero, or at least to below the threshold of audibility, whatever that threshold may be. And it assumes the circuitry is able to do that despite the presence of noise or other spurious high frequency spectral components that it may be exposed to. And in my earlier post in this thread I cited several ways in which such exposure can occur, that would be cable sensitive.

The quoted statement furthermore assumes that such noise or other spurious high frequencies that may be introduced into the component receiving the signal will not find a path by which some of their energy may bypass the reclocking circuitry altogether. For example via grounds, power supplies, or stray capacitances. Thereby potentially affecting jitter at the point of D/A conversion, or even affecting analog circuitry further downstream as a result of effects such as intermodulation or AM demodulation.

Now, can I prove that these possibilities can be great enough in degree to account for many or most of the reported perceptions of differences between digital cables? Of course not. It would seem to be a safe bet that no one here is in a position to either prove or disprove such explanations. But one thing I certainly learned during my career designing high tech analog and digital circuits (not for audio) is that circuits do not necessarily perform in an idealized manner, and signals and noise do not necessarily only have influence on circuit points to which the schematic shows a path.

There have been many occasions here over the years in which I’ve expressed skepticism about effects that have been reported which strike me as being technically implausible and/or impossible. And in which I’ve expressed the view that the claimed effects were likely the result of either inadequately thorough methodology, failure to recognize and control extraneous variables, or misperception. But when anecdotal evidence reaches the point of seeming to me to be overwhelming, as it does in this case, and when a considerable amount of that evidence comes from members whose perceptions I have come to respect over the years, and when the credibility of technical explanations that can be envisioned comes down to uncertainty about matters of degree, I no longer feel skeptical about the existence of differences. Which is not to say, however, that the existence of differences necessarily means that a $4K cable will sound better than a much less expensive cable, even in a very high quality and resolving system. That is a different question altogether.

Regards,

--Al

@mrc4u, a point to keep in mind is that depending on the design of your particular components the length of the cable may be just as important, and perhaps even more important, than the type. See the following paper for an explanation:

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

However, while the 1.5 meter length that is talked about in that paper will often be preferable to other lengths (whether longer or shorter), comparisons that have been reported here and elsewhere provide ample evidence that 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) is not always optimal. It depends on various characteristics of the specific components that are being connected, which are almost never specified or known. Those characteristics include the risetimes and falltimes of the signal that is being provided by the component driving the cable (i.e., the amount of time it takes for the signal to transition between its two voltage states); the susceptibility of the connected components to ground loop-related noise that may find its way to various internal circuit points in the component receiving the signal; and perhaps also to the high frequency components that correspond to distortions of the signal waveform, that may result from reflection effects caused by small impedance discontinuities and which may also find their way to various internal circuit points in the component receiving the signal.

While of course it would be preferable to compare a number of cables of various types and lengths, perhaps via The Cable Company, at the very least I would make a point of trying to determine what cables others have used with components that are the same or similar to yours. In that regard it appears that shkong78 has given you excellent advice.

Finally, regarding the disagreements that have been expressed above, IMO it is certainly possible for digital cables to affect sonics in various ways, including ways that can be subjectively perceived as differences in tonality, soundstaging, etc. However I would not ascribe specific tonal or other sonic characteristics to particular cables, as such differences will largely be a function of how the characteristics of the specific cables interact with the specific circuitry in the components that are being connected.

FWIW, IMO, YMMV, etc.

Good luck. Regards,

-- Al