What is the best 6SN7 driver tube?

I was told by some very experienced tube nuts that the best 6SN7 is the earliest version of Sylvania VT-231. Is there any truth in it? I thought the RCA red base 5692 is the ultimate driver tube around. Any thought on this issue will be helpful.
edle

Showing 1 response by tommy583

I too have tried many 6sn7 tubes over the years.  My Rogue Metis Magnum pre-amp takes a pair of these tubes.  Currently I'm using Sylvania 6sn7w short bottle black base.  Out of all the tubes I've tried these are my favorite besides the metal base 6sn7w"s.  I own most of the top rated USA tubes on the VTV shoot out list.  For the ones I own I would say the ratings and descriptions of the tubes are pretty spot on.  I'm lucky that I have a local guy that tests and sell tubes.  I've known him so long that he gave me a pair of metal base Sylv. 6sn7w's to try out.  The black base ones I have now sounded close enough to the metal I didn't buy them.  The best non-expensive tube in my opinion is the GE 6ns7gta.  It does a lot of things right for a relatively low price for an old stock tube.