What is the average dealer mark up?

What is an "average" mark up on quality or high end audio gear? I realize that there are many manufacturers who force dealers to hold this tight and not disclose, but surely without naming specific manufacturers there are some here that do in fact know the mark up.

Let the fun begin!
128x128badger_erich

Showing 4 responses by 4425

it’s very simple. dealer doesn’t have to sell and buyer doesn’t have to purchase. if one prefers to have more money than required go into the seller’s pocket then this buyer has more money than sense which is perfect for the dealer. 
BR3098 you are correct that a B&M store has to be extremely challenging which I get. That said can you blame a customer for attempting to secure a better price? That customer has also worked hard allowing him/her to come into the store in the first place. Your job is to be patient and endeavor to show the customer added value by purchasing from you. You have to figure out what works best for your operation. Isn’t the choice volume vs selling at retail? Many audiophiles have the weird misconception that audio dealers are public servants in some way different from any other businesses. Only a fool would begrudge a dealer for trying to sell at the highest price that he can while the customer’s job is to secure the best price he/she can. That’s the American system which has served us well for a few hundred years. I wish every audio dealer great success . I really do. Customers wanting better than retail pricing are in no way scum. They’re just customers that you don’t have to sell to without malice. FWIW
hmm. “most audiophiles aren’t really that good at listening”’etc. that’s a very arrogant statement. just saying.
Hmm. In all candor it’s our system at work when larger businesses push out smaller businesses primarily due to economies of scale. Take Walmart as an example. I don’t like the fact that they often crush their smaller competitors but how can it not be so in a free economy like ours? 
Who benefits from the lower prices?
The other thing that irritates me is the rabid criticism of larger corporations started big time by our last president. Are corporations not a conglomeration of many individuals working together to deliver a widget to the marketplace? When govt seeks to punish or destroy corporations who suffers the most? What exactly are laid off employees supposed to do? Work for the govt is the solution of certain factions in our society and that’s not good.
An enormous problem we’re facing now and will be more so in the future is our overall taxation. Income tax is just a part of our overall tax burden. This directly impacts the pressure put on households. Unfortunately it’s the American household that lets our govt pilfer OUR tax dollars away. Obviously this is just my opinion but I believe that it has merit. My true apologies for being so verbose.