What is a cost effective way to level match, for comparing different hifi components?

Over the next little while I am planning on trying out some new DACs in my stereo system, and I know that it is important to make sure that sound levels are carefully matched when comparing. So I would like to ask others here how they do this? I realize that these days we all have smartphones and can download apps to measure SPLs. Is this accurate enough for careful comparisons. I wouldn’t mind getting some ideas from others on how they do this, and what might be the best way.
troidelover1499

Showing 1 response by cd318

@tomic601 ,
"OP strict level matching is essential."
"As you probably already know, the ear brain likes louder and louder is just chasing your tail from a qualitative perspective, unless you can level match."

A couple of excellent and informative posts.

I don’t even bother comparing different masterings of favourite tracks unless I can level match them first.

Far too many times what, at first listen, seemed like obvious differences mysteriously disappeared into the ether once their volumes were matched. To all intents and purposes, what were quite different recordings all of a sudden became identical.

I’m not sure if I ever managed to get within 0.25db though, but it did really help me to distinguish between different recordings.

To claim that level matching is unimportant for evaluating components (or individual tracks) is either an example of naivety or an attempt at deliberate misdirection.