what impacts the sound quality more amp or pre-amp

which component has the greatest effect on sound quality, the amp or pre-amp? does one invest more in pre-amp to achieve sound quality?
dvdgreco
I'm happy to stand corrected. Generally, I've been choosing efficient and easy to drive speakers to pair up with comparatively low power tube amplifiers. It didn't occur to me that Harbeths, for example, are relatively inefficient but remain easy to drive.

I realized that the numbers I was giving for efficiency and impedance were actually for the Alon IV. Having said that, I can't find Alon II measurements and specs. However, I did find this thread:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1011043701

Where at least one person says these should be tube friendly.

Personally, I'd go with a tube integrated amp, or a tube power amp with a passive preamp. You still need to pick the right amplifier of course to get the sound you want as not all tube amps sound the same and there can be striking differences between them.
Pubul57 is correct about the 8 ohm nominal and 4 ohm minimum for the Model II. Here's a link to the Alon product manual. I don't know what year it was published, but it was during the production of the Phalanx and before the Circe. The Phalanx was one hell of an ugly speaker.
Hello, new here. Just a question about my choice of pre & power. I am currently testing the set up as I have an Onkyo M504 power amp with its matching pre P304, but, I also have a Rotel RSX1067 Surround processor. So with that said, I currently have the Rotel as my pre amp controlling the mains, through the Onkyo. Which are B&W CDM1nt bookshelf, speakers. Sound is fantastic. But more curious was the forementioned question. Is it pre or power. With this set up I chose the Rotel because of its superb sound quality. Any feed back would be helpful Thanks 
@dvdgreco 

I LOVE my B&K pro-10mc

bought new in early mid 90’s
still used with my Sunfire 600, such an amazing pre!

@drivingwatts I used the m504 amp with my tx-890 as the pre for quite a while, loved that amp, 

I ended up completely melting the back plastic binding posts, one afternoon, I was crushed, it was then, I realized I needed an amp with POWER, and a low OHM capability.

i still love the m504, smooth sound, good headroom, great bass.

Congrats on a great old school amp.

It’s 165W @ 8-ohm..? If I remember correctly.

the destruction was my fault, I had a pair of cerwin vega d-9’s AND at-15’s hooked up and ran both pairs,
with a short stint with the SE-380 cerwin Vegas with the delta speaker face.  Those didn’t last long.

anyway, that lil m504 was a d stood tall at a 0-1 OHM load for quite some time. Great tough amp.

moosehead makes me gum flap.