What has been your costliest mistake in this hobby?

For example :I recently learned a hard lesson- I accidentally ran voltage thru my $3000 MC cartridge (kiseki purple heart).  I have a TT with 5 prong connector and a phono cable with a 5 prong connector.  I accidentally swapped where they plugged into and ran electric thru the tonearm into the cartridge.  It was a stupid - not thinking- hasty mistake. When I corrected the problem the cartridge was fried.  An avalanche of four letter words followed!

So what has been your biggest and/or costliest mistake?
polkalover

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

I have, on occasion, sent prime examples (VERY low hours) of tubes from my NOS, backup stash, to AudiogoN members who’ve asked about, "the best" of the 6SN7 and/or 6DJ8/6922 types, to taste for themselves.       A little over 2 1/2 months ago; I sent a pair of Amperex Navy 6922 (early Sixties/large halo getter/maybe 10 hrs) and a pair of early Forties Ken-Rads (bottom gettered/staggered plates/copper rods/less than 10 hrs) for a member to try in their Cary SLI-80 F1, based on what they described as presentation preferences.       They loved the presentation so much; they asked if they were for sale and- did I have anything else, that they could audition.        Glad I didn’t, because: it’s been at least a month of attempted communication, without response.       When purchased (some 20 yrs ago), I paid around half of what they’re worth now (around $500, today, combined).       Glad I’m not as bankrupt (financially or morally), but- that still stings.       No one to blame, but- myself (of course)!