What happened to list prices?

hi guys -

I've been away for a week or so, but in the meantime it seems the list prices have disappeared from the classifieds? Just asking prices now...? Maybe it's the computer I am using at the moment, but I doubt it... any reasons for this? List prices were a useful thing, IMHO.

-Ed
ed_sawyer

Showing 1 response by danielk141

I've had misgivings about the List Price posting. If you're looking at a piece like the Sony 777 SACD Player (the 2 channel version) what is list? The price here in Phoenix started out at $3000.00 or $3500.00 (I don't remember). Then Sony dropped the retail price & they were available here for $2200.00 at Ultimate Electronics. The list price is arguably different, depending on when the original owner purchased it......
I've seen the Pass Labs X series preamp advertised here this week (the one with the plain - non matching power supply) with a list price of $5500.00. They NEVER went for that much. The version with the matching (machined aluminum power supply) used to be $5500.00 - now it lists for $5900.00 The version with the plain power supply was selling recently at dealers for $3200.00. How do I know? I went to my Pass dealer yesterday & asked him. I believe this is what any Audiogon user should do. Get information from the "horses mouth" - your closest dealer! My Pass dealer will answer any reasonable questions by phone or e:mail. He also won't sell to someone in an area assigned to another dealer. He likes this policy, that's why he sells Pass. If anyone calls or e:mails Pass from his area, Pass directs them to him.
As far as new or novice Audiogon members are concerned, research before you buy. If an item looks too good to be true - going for 1/2 price, current model, 2 months old -it was probably bought on the "Gray Market" and has no warranty. What good is a blank warranty card with no receipt? Some brands will cover an item like this, some will tell you no original receipt - no warranty.