What happened to all the highend stereo shops

What happened to high end stereo shops I mean real high-end stereo shops. I am 78, my father bought me my first stereo when I was 12, I have been hooked ever since. I remember the days when you can go to a nice audio store and not just audition what they had in the store but if you saw a couple of tuners, preamps or some cables that you liked, you could give them a blank check and take the equipment home to audition on your system. Bring one or both back Pay for what you want to keep or get your check back. I don’t understand how someone can buy an expensive piece of audio equipment and not audition it in their system first. Many places today, you buy it and your stuck with it. OH yes you can sell it on Audiogon or eBay. Reviewers are nice and give good reviews but the problem I have is the equipment they are auditioning  is on their system in their treated music room which is going to be different than what you have. 

If you can read this message, Thank a Teacher. 

If you are reading it in English, Thank a Veteran

128x128thefile

@RLJ,

You forgot Soundworks, in Wheaton,MD. One of the biggest Krell dealers on the east cost. IMO, they were one snobby dealer. Once the son took over the shop, the shop died quickly. 

I want to thank the person that had grislybutter's remark remove, with his comments he should be removed, he has no business on this forum.

@thefile 

I believe the offensive (and subsequently removed) post was penned by @crlambert and NOT by @grislybutter 

@grislybutter was responding to the post

To your original post, I believe alot of audio folks miss the almost clubhouse kindof feel so many great audio stores once evoked. The kind where you could hang out and not feel pressure to buy.

I do think people need to recognize that people consume and purchase music and audio gear differently today. I see the random posting, predicting the impending doom of high end audio. 2021 was the best year in the history of high end audio, eclipsed only by 2022. There are more high end companies today making better gear than ever before. Innovation is happening at warp speed which is why it may be hard to observe by those merely watching their own particular brick and mortar dealer. Businesses come and businesses go, nothing remains the same....thank goodness.

@thefile 

None of my comments were removed as @ghasley  said. 

Regardless, many think I don't belong to this forum and I often agree with that 😊