What do you think about Definitive Technology?

How do folks feel about these speakers for HT? audio? Am I wasting my B&K ref 30 on these? I've aready started buying (surrounds and center) but bought used and could sell w/o loss. I've been buying for about 1/2 MSRP- if that trend continues it will cost about 3500 for the definitve tech speakers (w/o sub). BUT if I buy used and spend 5000-6000 how much of an improvement would there be? and what brands would you recommend where the C,L,R, and surrounds go for a total of 5-6K used? Most everyone here is far more experienced than I so I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
Peter
themightymilkman1e72
I used to own a Deftech setup, 2004TLs BP6s and a Procenter C2 w/ Prosub200

These sound fantastic, awesome HT preformance

I dont like the built in subwoofers though. They are quality subwoofers, but Deftechs are so picky about where you set them up, that where thier bi-polar arrays sound good is not always where the subwoofer sounds good. I found that even though the 2004TL's had built in subwoofers, that i still needed a seperate subwoofer to fill the room with bass. If i turned off the 2004TL's subs, i noticed no difference in bass. however, if i had the 2004 subs up, and i turned down the prosub 200, there was a great decrease in overall bass.

So over all, i dont think the built in subwoofers are worth it, because they become extremly finicky about placement. The speakers sound great away from the wall, but the bass suffers. Put it next to the wall, the bass is greatly enhanced, but the mids and tweets suffer.

Recently i sold these and decided to go for a monitor size speaker, KEF Q1, and i plan to use identical speakers all around.

You dont want to use a monitor for your right speaker and a tower for your left speaker, because they sound different. Why would you do this with any other channel?
You can have all identical drivers, but unless the boxes are the same they will sound different.

i say ditch the deftechs, go with Identical KEF Q1s on all channels. Im working on that now.

The KEF Q1 retails for about 225.00 each. The 2004TL for 800.00 each.
The KEF Q1 in my opinion sounds just as good as the deftechs without the built in subwoofer, plus the Q1 reaches to 45hz, so it is a full range monitor. Sure you will be missing the subwoofers, but aan external subwoofer will easily compensate for this and you can place it without suffering from harmonic loss from the speaker.

Currently i have a Denon 3803, 2 KEF Q1s, and a Deftech Prosub 200. The loss of bass from ditching the 2004tls was pretty much non-existant.

Eventually my system will be the Denon 3803, 7 KEF Q1s, and Dual DefTech Supercubes.

All in all that will give more bass, better distributed bass, and a hell of alot cheaper than going with identical 2004TLs

Deftechs Rock, they seriously do, but sometimes they are just too picky. Thier subwoofers in my opinion cannot be beat. I have heard velodynes for far more the cost than my Prosub 200, and they sounded almost sloppy compared to it.
I heard their smallest system - the Cinema 60 - through the basic Elite receiver, right after hearing the Energy Encore system in the same setup and store.

No contest - the Def Tech system was cheaper and far better. The Energy had a little more impact, but was no comparison to the Definitive for clarity - it was like listening to smoothness and detail after noise and clutter.

If the upper line models are anything like this tiny one, this is a great product.
Has anyone seen or heard the Def Tech Mythos One Towers? I have physical space considerations, and am considering auditioning these. Any comments would be appreciated
Ron34238

Ive heard those once a few months back. They sounded pretty impressive. I have always liked DefTechs though (even though i just sold 2,500 worth of deftech speaks). I think just about anything they got are pretty good. Not too ssure i like thier 3000tl's though, the seem to miss something.