What do you think about Definitive Technology?

How do folks feel about these speakers for HT? audio? Am I wasting my B&K ref 30 on these? I've aready started buying (surrounds and center) but bought used and could sell w/o loss. I've been buying for about 1/2 MSRP- if that trend continues it will cost about 3500 for the definitve tech speakers (w/o sub). BUT if I buy used and spend 5000-6000 how much of an improvement would there be? and what brands would you recommend where the C,L,R, and surrounds go for a total of 5-6K used? Most everyone here is far more experienced than I so I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,
Peter
themightymilkman1e72
I auditioned the def techs 2000tl against the Paradigm ref 100's, I thought the paradigms to be extremely bright, I found the def techs to my liking and bought them, I have had them a couple of years and still find them the best in their price range, speakers are a matter of taste, don't go by reveiws or what others say, you must listen for yourself and then decide,good luck
I ran 3 sets of the bp2000 towers and the matching center for years. Also had 2 def tech 1800 subs and 1 mirage bps 400 and a mirage bpss 210 in system . Lexicon dc1 then mc 1 , all on their own Adcom 555 11 mono amps at 600 w per speaker . Strictly for theatre , it was awesome and would not hesitate to recommend . Critical 2 channel is another story . Sandy Gross , owner , designer of Def Tech is a super guy and is really down to earth. They make good value for the dollar speakers. This forum is primarily audiophile and I may certainly get bashed for my comments but I stand by them. Remember , they make bipole speakers for the most part so positioning them at least 3 feet from rear and side walls is critical. Proprely set up and driven with good electronics { not mid - fi recievers} , they can be seductive in that their ability to envelope the listener with a cohesive surround sound enviroment is excellent. Of course , this is one persons opinion.
Hey peter I a own a set of definitive bp 2000's (300watts-subs)and i think they are great,probably the best that i have heard for the money(aprox$2750.00)with a set of bose 901's for my rears sounds crazy huh? I run a onkyo 919 pro receiver only pro logic(4-channel) In by-pass mode(stereo) they rock, but in surround modes not nearly as good,you see i am running the eq. that came with the 901's and a ten band eq.through the tape loop.I believe if i matched the center,and the rear with a definitive matched set that would probably make big difference.I would like to upgrade to at least5.1 and retain the sound of the equlazition,is this possible?sincerely mark
Def Tech's Classic Model is The Orginal 2004 with The 125 sub amp,10"woofer,well balanced sound spectrum for MUSIC.Not the latest 2004tl with the 250 watt amp,To much bass and mid bass,good for HT I guess.Check my system..JD
Samski is right -- listen to the alternatives (preferably in your own home) and then decide. "It all depends on your gear and your ear" (great quote by Thedautch). By the way, just to be clear, I was referring to the Paradigm Ref version 2's -- I can't speak for the earlier version. Good luck.