WHat did Audiophiles hear during Tape deck era?

How did Audiophile listened to audiophile quality during tape cassett era?
ashoka
I’m posting this strictly for interest. These are the most expensive cassettes sold this past week, the most recently one today. Enjoy 😊

http://www.valueyourmusic.com/most-valuable/cassette/last-week
The mid 80s reissue tapes like Zeppelin, Doors, Stones, Dylan, Beatles are great and they’re just ferrite tape, by then they had figured out the engineering. No tape hiss, amazing Sonics. Pure analog. Tape is a natural medium. It breathes. Check it out!! 🤗
Many of us didn't have audiophile quality. We just enjoyed the music without all the analyzing. Even when it was BTO fading out midsong so it could ker-chunk and fade back up on the in-car 8-track. Good times.
I actually recorded fm stations. I split my cable signal and ran a line into my tuner and got additional state side fm stations. So I would tape Seattle rock and then with my other tape deck I would record the tape I recorded editing out commercials and station announcements or pause tape, record LP song, pause, back to previous recorded tape, hit record. I would make my own various artist tapes to play in my truck, Walkman, and home stereo. A tedious and lengthy process, so was drinking alot of beer on a Saturday. 
To add, I always taped my records when I brought new ones home and had the big brown slotted suitcase full when I travelled, casette was King for awhile in the 70's.