What are your top 5 Billboard top 10 songs of the 1970"s?

As many agree the 1970’s had the best pop music of any recorded era, I thought it would be very interesting to see what Audiogon members have to say about this. I know 5 is tough but I did not want to make this post too long winded. As always I appreciate your time and selections. My top 5 are...

#1 Baker Street-Gerry Rafferty 1978 #2
#2 Summer Breeze-Seals & Crofts. 1972 #6
#3 American Pie-Don Mclean. 1972 #1
#4 Ricki Don’t Lose That Number. 1974 #4
#5 Miracles-Jefferson Starship. 1975 #3

Yes there are many great songs I could have placed here but this is my list for 8/18/21. Look forward to your responses!
dayglow

Showing 12 responses by rwp2694u

Hey Carpathian...right on!  And how about the posters who want to know if a vintage California Audio Labs CL-15 they are considering will do well with it's volume control on max feeding Kraftwerk techno tracks direct to their Rowland Amp for output via Audioquest cable to their beloved Spendors. How about the posters who presume to have an answer!  Wowee!  
Hey edcyn...Sorry, but Richard Harris left the cake out in the rain in the summer of '68.
Have to agree with Roxy on the "Miracles" take...Ditto anything Starship, Marty Balin's outstanding vocals aside.  Remember his gem of a composition "Coming Back To Me" from Surrealistic Pillow?  Anything Becker/Fagen gets my backing.  Loved that haunting sax in Baker Street back in '78.  Trivia quiz:  Spring of 1973...Band member Gerry Rafferty on lead vocals.  "Well I don't know why I came here tonight"...The band?  The song?

5 of my 70's chart faves..."Rock On" ('72) - David Essex; "Gold" ('79) - John Stewart; "Rhiannon" ('75) - Fleetwood Mac; "I Want Your Love" ('78) - Chic (Yes, Disco!); "Miss You" ('78) - Rolling Stones

5 charters I truly reviled..."You Light Up My Life" (Debbie Boone); "Feelings" (Morris Albert); "My Love" (Paul McCartney/Wings); "The Candy Man" (Sammy Davis, Jr.); "Just The Way You Are" (William Joel)  
edcyn...It's okay; I'm not dinging it...liked it myself, grandiosity and all. Plenty to appreciate, as you say. But just saying it wasn't 70's.  Trivia questions: Harris hit the charts with MacArthur not long after "making hay" in the leading role in what movie?  The park is located in what U.S. city?  
Hey Mitchagain...So true, they don't meet the Billboard criteria, but nice eclectic mix:
Five stars for Southerland Bros & Quiver; Steely Dan; Ian Gomm and Rare Earth.
Artemus...I remember "Sausalito" very well...1980 or 81?  Liked it.  Also remember I didn't like the other LP tracks.  Oh well.
dayglow...Yeah, "Smiling Faces" could easily have been one of my Top 5 (Fall of 1971). Another R&B that charted right around then that I was fond of was The Dramatics' "Whatcha See, Is Whatcha Get."...Dot...dottot...dot!
Hey Speakermaster...Steve Miller Circle Of Love LP ("Heart Like A Wheel") was an 80's (1981?) release.  Sorry.
McKinney Mike...A long shot, or maybe just a lot of Mike McKinneys out there, but did you by any chance once live in Northern Virginia and work for the Feds, circa 1979-83?
Hey edcyn...So the Harris movie I was looking for was "A Man Called Horse."  And I'm with you on the Eagles.  You can throw in Boston, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Styx, et al, for the same "Classic Rock Ad Nauseum" reason.