What are your top 5 Billboard top 10 songs of the 1970"s?

As many agree the 1970’s had the best pop music of any recorded era, I thought it would be very interesting to see what Audiogon members have to say about this. I know 5 is tough but I did not want to make this post too long winded. As always I appreciate your time and selections. My top 5 are...

#1 Baker Street-Gerry Rafferty 1978 #2
#2 Summer Breeze-Seals & Crofts. 1972 #6
#3 American Pie-Don Mclean. 1972 #1
#4 Ricki Don’t Lose That Number. 1974 #4
#5 Miracles-Jefferson Starship. 1975 #3

Yes there are many great songs I could have placed here but this is my list for 8/18/21. Look forward to your responses!
dayglow

Showing 4 responses by edcyn

The 1970's saw me pretty much totally abandon top forty pop music for stuff more off-the-beaten-track. So off the top of my head my alternative top 5 -- 

Vicious -- Lou Reed
Walk on the Wild Side -- Lou Reed
I Wanna be Sedated -- Ramones
Marquee Moon -- Television
Aladdin Sane - David Bowie

And how 'bout an honorary No. 6?  MacArthur Park -- Richard Harris
@rwp2694 -- Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. The song ain’t perfect. But I forgive the tune’s & Harris’ performance their excesses. I appreciate the recording’s sheer romantic sweep and ardor. And the tune’s B section not only makes for a lovely interlude to the dramatics of the opening & closing sections, its lyrics are decidedly eloquent...skillfully just south of maudlin.
rwp -- Richard Harris actually enjoyed quite a successful film career. I loved Man in the Wilderness. And, of course, MacArthur Park is in L.A.  I'd take my high school girlfriend there.  The tune "MacArthur Park" made me a confirmed Jimmy Webb fan, even if it did make my rock-and-roll bandmates believe I'd lost my sanity.  I actually saw Jimmy Webb perform live at the Troubadour. Terrible voice, but could that guy play cocktail lounge style piano... 
What can I say? I always disliked the Eagles. The only tune I ever did like from them was New Kid in Town. I actually bought the 45rpm single. It didn't help that my rock-and-roll buddies loved the Eagles to distraction. One of them even went on tour with them as their staff accountant.