What are the best sounding classical CDs

I am looking to start a classical collection. I am looking for some suggestions on good classical preformances that have excellent sound.
Ag insider logo xs@2xpal
Thanks guys! I have ordered some of your suggestions. They should be arriving soon.
Hard to believe no one has mentioned anything from the budget ($6 or $7) Naxos label. Just a few recommendations:

Barber Violin Concerto
Boccherini Flute Quintets
Vaughan Williams Antarctica Symphony
Prokofiev Violin Concertos
Reference Recordings are always sonically second to none, especially the newest HDCD recordings. Professor Johnson must be the best recording engineer in the business. Sometimes the performances aren't up to the quality of the recording, but this is being very nit picky. If you are just starting out buying the titles that are available on Reference and are looking for excellent recordings, then look no further. If you are shopping for another version of the same work, you might prefer the performances of other conductors or orchestras. The one work that I do think is outstanding is Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherezade. This is my favorite version of this work. The Mussourgsky Pictures, however, is one of my least favorites because of the tempo at which it's performed. But sonically, no other versions begin to compare.

The newer Telarcs are excellent as well and the performances are also first rate.