What amp $1000 for Rockport Tech Mira Mon?

I have bought (shipping is pending) a pair of Rockport Technologies Mira Monitor speakers (here on Audiogon).

I am looking at choices in an amplifier. Sensitivity on these is 85 dB. But I will not be driving them loud anyway, so don't be afraid to recommend a 30 watt tube.

I know everyone will say that I just need to listen. Right. I know that. But my local audio shop (about the only in town) doesn't carry any amps with less than 5 channels. Whatever I get will be ordered and auditioned, and then sold if not liked.

I kinda broke the bank on these speakers, so I'd like to stay under $1500, preferably under $1000 for this amp. I have at home in other systems a tiny NAD power amp (I think it's 20wpc), and a Sunfire Cinema Grand. I will take a listen with those when I get the speakers, just because I won't be able to wait.

I have a passable Nikko Pre-Amp right now. My eventual plan for this system is a nice pre-amp with digital inputs and a good DAC.
sivert
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The ARC suggestion has led to some research. There are a lot of letters in the names of AR amps. VT-, D-, VS-, etc. Can anyone give a link to a description of what these indicate?

Calling Andy is a good suggestion. I've been in his workshop a couple times and he has played some great stuff. Last time it was Hyperions driven by Mark Levinson 33s with the Gryphon CD player.
The only hesitation there is that the system should be built gradually. Maybe someday, I'll get a really fine amp, but I'll be content with a good one right now. Andy isn't in the business of giving advice on what would be second best - or third, or whatever my budget is (probably quite a bit further down). But I'll call him and see what he says.

Re: Pass Labs Aleph 5
I did some reading on this one. I don't understand why a Class A amp that consumes 300 W would not double to at least 120 into 4 ohm. The Mira Mons are 6 ohm, so it seems that whatever I choose should be able to maintain voltage at least at 6 ohms... not sure, though.
I'd try a Bryston B-60 -- I see there's one on this site for under $800 (not mine -- mine is sitting happily with the rest of my system) -- nice sound, durable, fits your price range, and you can easily move it if, for some reason, you find that it's not what you're looking for...

good luck and keep us posted...

I called Andy. He was very kind as always, but he didn't have any recommendations in my price range.
I'm just curious: What specifically did he recommmend?

(And what power range did he recommend too?)
Rockport speakers do need some gas. I would probably not mess around with an amp with less than 70w. If you absolutely need to stay under $1000 I would look into:

Monarchy SM-70 Pros. Even though I sold mine after a while, I really liked them for the price.

An old Simaudio Celeste. I never owned a stand-alone Celeste amp, but I did have one of the Celeste integrateds.

One of the old Classe amps (there are a few models that 100w or under that sell in the sub-$1000 zone). Never owned Classe gear, but I've heard it over the years on other speakers that need some current (Dynaudios, B&Ws, etc) and the sound was always pretty good.

Oh, btw, +1 on all the Pass Labs / Threshold / (or even Forte) Nelson Pass designs. If you can find a higher powered one for under $1000, you'd probably be alright with one of those.

Enjoy your new speakers. Rockports are great.