Wharfedale Denton vs Diamond 225

I'm looking for a small pair of speakers in the $500 range and these two caught my eye. They are from the same manufacturer and sell for the same price. Anyone with any experience on their sonic differences?
128x128audiogabby

Showing 5 responses by chrisr

Based on what I read on british forums, some have found the Dentons to be richer in tones and details compared to the 220s.
I really like the Dentons personally.  They are very pleasant to listen to, sound good at low volumes, image very well, never bright and harsh, on the warm side, and from the pictures I have seen, they are made with wharfedale drivers, and quality crossovers and binding posts.  Internal wires are particularly thick.
The cabinets are exceptional at the price point.  I just compared my dentons to a pair of kef Q100; while the KEF are fast and offer a bit more details and air, they are not as refined, natural nor musical.
Wharfedale intented with the dentons to bring back the old wharfedale sound to music lovers - It is an 80th anniversary version and they were conceived with special care.  The 225s are probably more generic.
The dentons are not monsters of details nor super dynamic, so if you're looking for a warm, lush sound, they are for you.  They require good amplification, in fact I do not believe my marantz integrated 8400 is a good enough match.  I hope you can listen to both - beware of the dentons running time, they need at least 100hrs before developing and be more balanced. have fun
I am amazed to see the NAD integrated still working fine in the environment... I have had one that did not handle a near dust free living room after 13 months!
+1 on the fact that the Denton lacks dynamics when played very loud.  They are very rich at low to mid-volume, but they start to sound compressed when pushed beyond normal listening levels.
Love mine.

" By the way, I'm curious what song you played sounded compressed when push to high volume,"

I don't have particular recordings in mind, but I'am loosing dynamics and clarity when playing pop, rock at high volumes much quicker with the denton than with my totems and ls50s (all same size drivers).  Note that both LS50s and totems use long-throw drivers. Also, it could be my room, my stands, my integrated... I do feel for sure that the Dentons definetely could use better amplification (more dynamic power and control) compared to the two others which sound good pretty much with anything.

You mentioned new Denton 2 85th... never heard of this... Are you leaking something that is still kept secret?

thanks for citing Moanin" as a reference - I don't think I have it on hand, but I'll look for it..
oh.  I have  Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Moanin' on a est of "blue note", 2CD set.... listening to it right now on my Totem hawks.
Bass is put way low in the mix and appear in the back of the soundstage.
I'll listen to it when I put back my wharfedale.