Well Tempered Amadeus Options

Hi Guys, As I'm avid WTL Classic fan and have owned over three different versions since '93 ending with a Classic MK V version last year. But after having a chance to hear the Amadeus at Don Better Audio in Cleveland Ohio this past November I've come to the realization that had I heard this table in Feburary of said year I know what would be residing on my stand right now. But my question is ask I only intend to do this one time.............., I'm in the position to get either the standard white ball version or the more upscale GTA version with the alumium plinth and black golf ball attachment that cost $3.700 here in the States where the basic one goes for $2.850!, as I've been following the trends here regarding this table in general I'm merely wondering which route have you guys taken?, and if there is in fact a better sound being rendered by the more costly unit?, or is it purely based upon overall appearance and little if anything to do with better Fidelity?. I merely wish to go this route one time and be done with it, so your opinions with more then likely be weighed quite heavily I might add. So fellow WTL owners please share your tales and tell me what's what!. Regards, Oscar
el34eh

Showing 4 responses by paul2240

I have the standard. I spoke with the US distributor of the Well Tempered and after much hemming and hawing (sp?) he admitted he has never been able to tell the difference in sound between the two. It's purely cosmetic in his opinion. I then spoke to two different dealers (Audio Revelation in So Cal and the dealer in San Fran) and Audio Revelation said even with the best equipment, the difference in sound was almost imperceptible and the difference didn't mean one was better than the other. The San Fran dealer didn't want to comment on the matter. After all this, I went with the standard and I couldn't be happier....no looking back whatsoever.
Dear El34eh; I too saw the power supply on the web site...I am not sure of the motivation behind offering this. I have no issues with my current stock setup. I do use a power conditioner, but I had no issues when I connected the PS directly to the wall.
Hey Chashas, do you think using a power conditioner negates the benefit of the WLT upgraded power supply? The conditioners I use wouldn't be called "state of the art" (Panamax and Monster, both their "best models"). Reluctant to drop $400 bucks if the conditioner makes up for any deficiencies in the wall wart....

Any insight would be helpful...
OK, so after reading the comments above I decided to add the upgraded power supply. At first I didn't hear any difference, but when started doing "A-B" comparisons, I did hear a reduction in motor noise....I don't know how or why this would happen. The funny thing is I never noticed any motor noise previously until I did the "before and after" test. I did have to adjust my platter speed when I added the power supply. Final note: The supplied 12V cable from the PS to the TT isn't the longest, and the power supply box is fairly large. Unless your TT is on a good-sized platform, you may have a longer run than the cable will permit...I suppose you can scrounge up a different cable, but that was my only issue with the PS.