Weiss dac 204 vs Accuphase dac 60 card

Looking for any advise on the weiss 204 dac as just a pure dac and will deal with streaming later on. Will use xlr outs to my accuphase e5000 integrated amp. I do have the dac 60 board now and just wondering if anyone has experience with these dacs.

duketbrd88

Showing 1 response by ddafoe

The Weiss 204 is kind of an enigma in the sense there are a couple measurement based reviews which are negative and a couple subjective reviews which are very positive.

I purchased the 205 after reading the positive reviews and compared it to my Meitner MA3 which is way more expensive and differences were similar to what is mentioned in https://twitteringmachines.com/review-weiss-dac204/ where the reviewer compares it to his TotalDac.   Basically, for the $$ I really like it.   I've since added a Linear Power Supply to the 205 which was nice improvement, at least in terms of dynamics.  I have no idea how it compares to an Accuphase DAC board. I like having the choice to swap/upgrade DACs as new 'popular/great-deal items' become available (regularly) so personally for me I wouldn't be interested in a DAC board as even if it's killer I know I would want to try different things...    Used 204s show up in the $2700 range.   Vintage King has a demo available as I'm writing this.