Wavac MD 300B Monoblocks

Hello all:

I was thinking about purchasing a pair of Wavac MD 300B Monoblocks to match with my Peak Consult Empress. No nearby Wavac dealer and I was just looking for a few opinions before making a 500 mile trip to audition. (which of course I will before purchase)

I do not have much experience with SET's or Wavac. I'm using Gamut D200 mk3 and the sound is quite good; just looking for alittle variety and hopefully better than "quite good".

I'd appreciate any/all opinions and experiences.

Thanks much
Brian
audiobrian
Hey Brian! I own the 811a version from Wavac. The circuits should be similar, and therefore the following may apply? I found that the Wavac responds immediately to tube rolling. Be ready to experiment. It seems to work best with an active pre-amp. The volume control on the 811 makes it possible to create unique sound depending on the ratio of volume from pre to amp. The bass is excellent on my unit due to the transformer coupled design? Tubes do play a roll here as well. Best of luck in your journey! Ralphdude
I heard Wavac equipment at CES a couple years ago. I was expecting something really special, from the makers of $350,000 amps, and I was quite disappointed. I think I heard 2 Wavac systems. One was in a Wavac room, their $175,000 mopnoblocks. The other was in a room with a pair of Talon's new (at the time) floor standing speaker (can't remember the name, but 2 8" woofers, ceramic mid & tweet, acrylic plates on the box). There wasn't anything particuilarly wrong with the sound of either system, but I didn't hear anything that was special. Certainly not worth more than I paid for my house.
Thanks Ralphdude and Honest1; I truly appreciate your thoughts. Of course the MD 300B monos are not in the "house" category, but certainly in the "economy car" category.

I have always wanted to hear an excellent SET on the Empresses to see if the "purity of sound" is as good as they say. Perhaps I should be looking at an 805 tube model for some increased power output and drive over the 10 watt MD 300B monos....we'll see; perhaps the dealer can arrange to have both the MD 300B monos and MD 805 monos for a side by side comparison.

Thanks again....additional opinions are certainly most welcome!