Warm sounding 6922 Type Tubes

Any suggestions for a warm sounding 6922 type tube for my Dac. I’m currently using a NOS Mullard 6DJ8 but I’m looking for a bit more warmth to tame some brighter recordings.

128x128ronrags

Showing 5 responses by earthbound

I use the Amperex in the yellow and green box. I think it’s made in Holland but is quite expensive, around $180 a tube when I bought them. Sounds wonderful in my ModWright modded Cambridge cxn v2. Warm and very easy to listen to for long periods of time. 

Good point Tomcy6. The only other 6922 I’ve used is the Electro Harmonix. Not a big sample pool. The Amperex are just better overall and more pleasing to listen to. I’m probably confusing warm with more pleasing and easy to listen to. Also, I have a tube amp, preamp and dac and am comparing the Amperex to the tubes I’ve used in those. Tubes are indeed a personal choice and ronrags will have to experiment. 

Are the Mullards fully broken in? Tubes can be quite harsh sometimes in the beginning. 

Glad to hear they are getting better. I too have tinnitus and have had quite a few tubes bother me in the beginning and then settle down. Happy yours did some settling in. 

I hope the dac situation works out for you. It is annoying and can be costly. I sold some brand new Zu speakers because they bothered my ears and caused headaches. Always a fear when purchasing new equipment.