Want to setup basic home audio system

As the title states, I am looking for advice on the main components required to get a basic home audio system going for under 1k. When I do get to save more money, I am open to add more into the system. For now, what are the basic components of a home audio system that I mainly need to focus on right now? I am not looking to get a home theater setup. ONNLY LOOKING TO GET HOME AUDIO SYSTEM FOR MUSIC
diripio
  If you go for the used market you are limited to the reviews of opinions from many but are not able to actually audition how they sound for yourself. That's where going to an audio dealer that may have the components you have interest in and will fit into your budget comes in. Audition amp and speaker combinations and decide what sounds best to you. If the dealer may also have the sources you prefer audition them as well.may also have the sources you prefer audition them as well.

I recommend the used market for speakers, but only if you shop locally.  That gives you a chance to listen to them and decide if they are right for your ears.  i used Craigslist, and auditioned at least 20 different speakers before I found the ones that "spoke" to me; if the seller won't let you audition, just thank them and move on.  Also, pick a selection of 3-5 musical pieces that you are very familiar with, that are well recorded, and that, as a group, give you a fairly broad spectrum of musical frequencies, dynamic range, acoustic vs electronic, and vocal vs acoustic.  Take those pieces with you to every audition (I recommend on CD), and always play the same ones.  If the seller has a high quality streaming account, you can always look up the songs on that, but if he or she doesn't, you won't be stuck listening to whatever they want to put on.  Finally, there will be times when you are listening to a good pair of speakers but they don't sound their best -- it could be a bad fit with the electronics, or poor room treatment, or whatever; don't sweat it -- just accept that that SYSTEM wasn't what you were looking for in terms of sound quality. If you do enough auditions, you will eventually find a few that sound great, and you can choose one of those pairs of speakers knowing that, if you do a decent job of matching electronics and room treatments, you WILL like the sound.  Enjoy the hunt!
Hi!

I am almost exactly with @panzrwagn, you'll be hard pressed to do a lot better than NAD C338.  At this budget integrated do-it-all amp makes sense, and it does not get much more do-it-all than C338.  Bluetooth, streamer, extra input(s), and when (and if) you are ready to add turntable it already has a built-in phono stage for MM cartridge.  May be able to do better than $700 if used or refurb.  Great bargains can be had out there, if you are willing to do your research and take your time (there is a refurb on Ebay right now for $519 - saves you almost two Benjamins toward other gear - not bad, if you ask me).  But back to where we were..

Since C338 does it all, you'll just need speakers.  Here you'll need to take your time and go do some listening.  Establish the character of sound that you are looking for, and that is going to be very brand/type specific.  Assuming $1500 budget, that leaves you about $700 for speakers (save $100 for decent speaker cables and a power cable, they will make a difference).  I have bought and sold more HI-FI gear than I care to remember, but "in-house" sound/voicing is going to be somewhat common across the product line with most brands, I would look at Monitor, PSB, ELAC (heard them at RMAF couple of years ago, amazing for the money - the floorstanders, Debuts 5.2).
Get some Zu Libtec speaker cables off Ebay, should be able to win the auction for $50-$60, I doubt you'll be able to do much better for the money.
Most importantly - learn, enjoy the journey, don't forget to let the equipment break in, and, most importantly - it's not about the gear or it's price, it's about synergy of the components and music.  Yes, Gryphon room at RMAF sounded insanely good, almost unbelieaveably good.  But where is the challenge in that?  All you need is about $250,000 and BAM! - great system at your disposal. :-)  As Car and Driver once put it "...it's a lot harder to design a great $25,000 car than a great $250,000 car...
Happy listening!
https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-elac-system/

Get a USB adaptor for you iphone and feed it Tidal or Qobuz or buy a streamer like 
https://www.bluesound.com/products-archive/vault-2/ or a used one for less and you are set. 

Then upgrade the speakers in a year.
Since you're on your phone and computer a lot if you're in the Apple world you really can't beat stereo Homepods for only about $400 total if you get them on sale. They are portable too! They sound beyond great and probably get way more for your buck than a lot of other more bulky/cumbersome setups.