Wanna know how noisy your AC is ?

Would you also like to know if your "AC treatments" are getting rid of the majority of noise ? Well, now you can : )

I'm going to set up a small "AC analysis kit" that will be available on a "borrow as needed" case. It will consist of an Audioprism AC Line Sniffer, an AC Polarity checker and a multimeter to verify "most proper" polarity of your components in terms of chassis ground / power cord orientation. To make things easy, i'll probably type up a brief set of instructions on how to use the Sniffer and the multimeter. The AC Polarity checker is a no-brainer, so no notes needed.

If you are interested in borrowing these, please respond here and i'll try to work out a schedule. This will only be going to people with positive Agon feedback and / or a very consistent history of posting here in the forums. I realize that some of the contributors here are not consistent buyers / sellers of gear and would not want to disregard them for that reason.

Obviously, this will be done on the "honour system", so i'm trusting in you to use them and return them in the condition that you received them AND do so on a timely basis. Borrowers of this "kit" will be responsible for insured return shipping. If there are enough people interested, i'll set up some type of rotation so that you can ship to someone relatively close. This will keep costs down to a bare minimum for all involved.

Sound like a plan ? Sean
>
sean
Dear Sean, I have always thought this forum is the great place for not only information but lending unused equipment to others. I am sure each of us has a box full of unused cables ,connectors, and equipment that just sits . I would like to take you up on your offer when the equipment becomes available. In turn I will lend my original tuntable to an Audiogon member with all positive feedback. The table is a stock Music Hall 2.1 all original. It can be borrowed for 4-6 weeks and is not for sale. I am sure that you will enjoy spinning records again but do not expect state of art performance. I could include an NAD phono stage which is on loan to a friend if needed. I hope SEAN's generosity catches on and know it is risky but if he is willing to take that risk so am I. Best to all , Dredster
Sean, I am interested as well. I am right next door (4-5 miles) to Tim the "Tireguy" so we could kill two birds with one stone.

Regards,
Sean,

Please put me on your list, also. I would be happy to contribute to any expenses incurred. If you do decide to give out directions for doing the test procedures, I would favor that as a backup, in case the list of interested people gets to be too long to deal with! Thanks in advance,

Jon
Sean,

Thanks for the great offer! I would love to take you up on it.

Do you guys think that it would be a good idea to create an Excel spreadsheet showing everyone's results (if they are given in any statistical form)? And also, a spreadsheet would show who received it last and when; and where it was sent next.

Anyway, thanks again!

Brad Day
Atlanta, GA
Wow. Got a lot of responses here. That's good : )

Marty: As to the question about the Elfix, that tool appears to be similar. While the Elfix has a control to vary the sensitivity, it costs quite a bit more than the one shown on the Lowe's website. Then again, it is "audiophile approved". Thanks for pointing out an alternative that offers great "bang for the buck". I like those kind of deals : )

As to the instructions, this is something that i'll have to work on. I have no problem with making them available to the general public for those that already have the necessary tools. This may take me a few days though as i have nothing typed out at this point in time.

Since we have a quite a few people interested in this, how long of a "visit" should we allocate for each person to have these tools ? Bare in mind that performing all of this work will involve disconnected ALL of your cables from your system, so one should take this into account prior to the "kit" arriving at their house. If this means that you have to come up with some way to identify which interconnects go where, what direction they face, etc... having a plan of attack will speed things up.

How about if i start working on a list of directions and then post them when i get them done ? This would allow folks a chance to see what is involved and whether or not they are up to such an "audio challenge". While my guess is that most people that are posting / reading on this forum are pretty "avid fanatics" about their systems, some folks are not quite as eager to get their hands dirty or break a sweat. This may help reduce the number of folks on the list and save us all a lot of wasted time. Just be patient as it may take me a few days to come up with directions that i'm comfortable with and find a convenient way to package all of these goodies. Sean
>

PS... I can include both an Audioprism Quiet Line and an Enacomm AC Filter so those that are interested in such devices can see how they work.