Walker Vortex Vacuum Wand for VPI

Hello all,
From a thread over on the Asylum, I noted Walker has introduced an Arm Wand for VPI RCMs.
After reading it's description at Elusive Disc, I can't help but think that this Delrin Wand, with no protective strips, coming in contact with the vinyl, no matter how one adjusts the Wand Tower, will be "kind" to the vinyl?

The other item included with the Wand, is two little O-rings, placed on Spindle, said to keep the record from touching the Mat. Wouldn't a rubber washer serve the same purpose?

Perhaps too new to hear other's opinions? I like the idea of never needing to worry about velvet strips going bad, less chance of cross-contamination, etc, but just cannot seem to get past the idea of the Delrin contacting Vinyl? Mark
markd51
Rushton (and Markd51)--Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly fiddle with it more. If you (Rushton) haven't had similar problems, I'll assume that it's a set-up issue. Best,

JB Coleman
JB, Please take the time for a couple of seconds to take a good ruler to the slot, and measure the slot length. Rushton can perhaps help, by confirming the slot size is the same (or not). Ya never know, yours could be slightly short, and this of course would make the differences. Again, hope this helps. Mark
Markd51--I just checked the slot length: it's exactly 8 centimeters. If that's shorter than the average, I'd certainly like to hear about it. Thanks,

JB Coleman
JB, I'll measure the slot in my tube and will post the results. I may not be able to get this done today, however.
JB, Something sounds wrong to me, as I just took a measurement of my stock VPI Acrylic Wand's slot, and the measurement is exactly 100mm, or 4", which ever you prefer to use. And the measurement of the origin of the slot, measured from the outside perimeter of round base collar of the Wand Assembly is exactly 1/8".

So, with that being said, something sounds awfully wrong, in that the slot sounds as if it was cut much too short at 8cm (which is 80mm). That's 20mm shorter in length than the VPI Wand Slot.

Provided Lloyd made an exact clone of the VPI Wand dimensioanlly, but just from a different material (Delrin), and a narrower cut slot minus the velvet lips, I honestly don;t see why the slot should be 20mm shorter? Sounds more like you got a wand more suited for 78rpm Shellacs?

We'll wait for Rushton to chime in with his findings, but you may wish to as well, shoot an email off to the folks at Walker, they'll definitely know what's cookin.
Mark