VTL ST-85 vs. VTL ST-150 or rather EL34 vs 6550

I am curious to know the sonic differences between these two amps. Aside from the obvious that one is higher power than the other, how much different are they in terms of sonic character from one another? I ask since the 85 uses the EL34 (which seems to have a following in Tube circles) and the 150 uses the 6550, also well-respected but different. At the present time, I am using an 85 until my brand new 150 arrives tomorrow. I really like the overall nature of the 85 quite a bit, and my line of thinking in ordering a 150 was that it would provide the same sound, but with just a little more crunch. Now I am finding out that may not be the case since the output stage tubes are completely different, 85 having EL34 and 150 having 6550.

So my question is; are these two amps in any way different as far as how they present the music (not the power they have)? Or should I expect the overall house sound of VTL (which I obviously like)to show through on either amp? I don't want a harsh sound, and the EL34 seems to be quite the opposite, very nice, slow, romantic, smooth etc. Just not sure about the 6550 since I have no experience with it, and this has me worried that I won't like it on my 805s speakers, like I like the 85/EL34.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, much appreciated.
jc51373

Showing 1 response by lissnr

I prefer Charlize too but seriously, Keep talking about the comparisons between the 150 and the 85, I am particularly interested in this thread because several years ago I was also enthralled with the st-85 and it was also the amp that drove me away from SS into tubes... the EL-34's were very much as you describe, romantic and almost billowy in the midrange. My local dealer had demo'ed the st-85 for me and it was great but just before I handed over the $$$ I noticed a new pair of MB-125's and asked him about those instead. He told me they had a very similar sound to the st-85 but just "more/better/ and more powerful" of everything the 85 did , so I dug deep and bought them instead. I've been in love ever since. A good friend was visiting sometime later and heard them with my [then] Audio Physic Tempo 3's and instantly joined the VTL bandwagon, only he went straight for the MB-450's (6550's) and the deluxe signature transformers and all the other goodies which make it a superior amp, (not to mention the gutsy power). But, as awesome as they drove his Maggie 3.6's I've been quite content with my 125's (and those EL-34's). He told me I'll always have "first rite of refusal" if he ever decides to sell them but that hasn't come up yet (about 6 years so far)and I've always wondered when/if the day ever comes (and my finances permit) if I made the switch would there be anything about the change that wasn't better? I'm sure there's an across the board improvement in probably every important aspect of performance with this substantially superior product, but just like you and the essence of this thread... are the fundamental differences in character between the 2 tube types even in the same brand of amplifier, going to be significant enough to evoke a preference? Keep lissn'n. P.S. The 125's also have a tetrode/triode switch... the tetrode is my "most of the time", triode is for the late night wine/dim lights/atmosphere.