VTL compact 80 amps and 5881 tube vs EL34 tube

Hello,
I am considering purchasing the VTL compact 80 mono block 80 watt amps for a second system. I am using an Audio Research SP8 pre-amp, Dahlquist DQ10 speakers, McCormack CD player, and a Linn turntable. How will this amp sound in this system? It uses the 5881 tube which I have never heard. Does the EL34 tube sound better then the 5881? If so I will consider another amp. Thank you very much...Evan
128x128ezaudio

Showing 2 responses by ezaudio

Ponnie, Thank you for answering me. The DQ10's are sitting around and I figured I would put them to use. I agree with you that the speakers are forward and a little bright too. I thought that tubes might tame them. My friend has the compact 80's sitting around so I was going to buy them. I will try the amps before buying but I might just buy the compact 100's with the EL34's instead. I don't want to go crazy since this is only a second system. Thanks again...
I agree with you about VTL's support, they don't want to help with older products. The quality of some of the older stuff was not great and it was unreliable but it usually sounded good. I have a great shop that knows the VTL products well and he is going to modify and fix anything that is bad. The solder joints were a big problem in these amps along with some poor quality caps and other parts. Once the amps are redone and modified with the correct parts it should sound good and be reliable. Thank you for your feedback.