VPI Classic hum

Got mine a few weeks ago. Installed it with a high-output Benz Ace H cartridge. Loved the sound but there was a hum when I turned the preamp volume past the 10 o'clock position. Later changed to a Clearaudio Concerto, the hum was quieter, but wouldn't go away no matter what I tried.

Then I read the manual closely, and it said something about using shielded interconnects. So I tried a pair of Rega Couple wires, which are made from Klotz cable, and are shielded.

And you know what, the hum just vanished! Now I'm at peace ...

Just to share with those have hum issues with the Classic. Do share your solutions.
bassraptor
Mine didn't at first, but it does now. Again, if you never ever heard what I'm talking about, you wouldn't know that it's there. For the most part, it's covered up by the music. It's only apparent when you are listening to the table through headphones. However once you've heard it, you can pick it out without fail.

Bassraptor, thanks for the info about the platter/bearing interface. I'll be keeping my platter, whole arm assembly, feet and transferring them to the Aries 3. Let me know If you come up with any additional info.

M~
For those of you who are suffering in silence. Get the following: Danco #36 O-Ring pn#96750 $3.00 and Surface guard felt washer kit pn#9425--- $1.96 from Home Depot or where ever.

1. Put the Danco washers under the motor around the mounting screw holes. The motor will rest on the washers.

2. Take the smallest felt pad and place them on top of the motor felt side up, midway between the mounting holes.

3. Tighten (just snug) everything down using a star pattern.

Why this?
Because it helps to isolate the motor.
It's cheaper than buying a 300RPM motor ($140+ shipping.
It works... to a point.

If it doesn't work, the washers and felt pads make nice Xmas gifts.

M~
Had a similar problem with a VPI Scoutmaster using a Dynavector 20XL along with a Cayin Phono One preamp. Replaced my Monster Cable interconnects with VPI shielded cables. Connected the ground wires to a water pipe. Hum problem disappeared.
Gvandyke2: You're lucky, then, that the hum was traced to the interconnects. I tried a number of shielded interconnects before tracing the actual cause of the hum in my (former) Classic ...
Bassraptor

You started a thread that just won't die. I just emailed Mike at VPI and told him that I would be exchanging tables next year. I don't want to risk any shipping disorders during this holiday season.

Anyway, I will be keeping my arm and the entire assy. Does the Aries 3 come with the phono junction box? I also intend to keep the feet and the platter. They will be getting my table and the upgraded motor assy. Is this similar to what you did? Also, I will be setting up my table on my own. I have it down to a science.

M~