VPI Classic 3 IDLE drive

Hi all,

I have as VPI Classic 3 I bought about 1 year ago and I was lately looking at the pictures on their website and notice that the classic now has an idle drive.
I also noticed that the platter has grooves where the belt goes, while mine doesn't.
I then called vpi and asked them if the idle drive was ready to be purchased for upgrade but They told me it wasn't.

Today while looking on you tube, I saw a video with a classic 3 with the same device I have seen on the website.

It is basically a larger pulley that touches the platter thus functioning like a rim drive however it still uses the belt along with it.

I was wondering if anybody here can help understand if this upgrade is finally available.

Thanks.
Stefano.
stefanoo
Stefanoo,

First off, VPI changed the pulley design a while ago. I saw a Classic I at my dealer's with the wider pulley last year. But it's still just a pulley, not a different drive. The new pulley also has a wider clearance at the bottom to allow easier lubrication of the motor.

Now, your description of changing the oil left me puzzled. What precisely did you do? Super Lube is for lubricating the platter bearing, not the motor. For the motor, you're supposed to use a 40 weight motor oil, not a grease which Super Lube is.

As far as the motor pulley, once you loosen or remove the hex screws, the pulley should easily come off. It's possible that it has some resistance due to the very close tolerances, but it should come off with a pull. However, it is critical that you balance the screws when you put the pulley back on as any imbalance will cause the pulley to wobble, which will affect the speed stability as well. This is the reason why I recommend using a syringe to lubricate the motor rather than mess with the motor assembly.

Lastly, if you used Super Lube to lubricate the platter shaft, I used essentially an identical product, which also caused significant slowing down of the platter. I think Super Lube is too thick, and I don't quite understand VPI's selection of the lubricant that causes the platter to slow down significantly after application. A Classic owner without the SDS would likely experience a serious problem with the speed if he used Super Lube. What I did was to remove the grease, and then make a paste with the grease and a high viscosity motor oil (I asked guys at my local Jiffy Lube to pour a bit of the highest viscosity oil they had in a cup for me). I then mixed the grease and the oil with a plastic knife and applied the mixture to the shaft. It worked perfectly.
The small pulley is for the 600 RPM motor. The larger pulley is for the 300 RPM motor. At least that's how it worked out on the Scout/Scoutmaster/Aries motor assemblies. You can clearly see the black nitrile belt in the video you linked. An idler drive has no need for a belt connecting it to the platter. The pulley is not touching the platter.
Why is it different from mine? Does anybody here have a classic 3?
Pulley on mine is smaller, like the one shown on vpi's website if you click on classic one.
Are you saying that tables come with two different pulleys? One if you have sds and one if you don't?
I didn't know that!
Super lube is for the bearing of the platter.

The platter was going slow because I had put slightly too much grease.
I left it spin for a couple of hours and it got faster peace.
I will still let it Seattle for another few hours.

Regarding the pulley, I removed the hex screws but the pulley must be so tight since it was very hard to remove.
I didn't pulled it out, I decide to not force anything and put everything back.

As for balancing screws, thanks for the tip I hadn't thought of that.
Anyhow since the pulley doesn't move not even if pulled quit hard, I don't think that the screws will act much on balance.
Nevertheless I will check into that making sure the pulley spins correctly.

I now understand that the bigger pulley I have seen in both the website and YouTube videos is not theRIM drive.
I was hoping VPI would have developed one, mike after all told me a while ago they were working on it.

Is it going to be hard to lubricate the motor with the old pulley?

I guess I should lubricate it since I had the table for more than a year although I probably played it no more than 100-150 hrs.
Mike recommended me for the motor's oil something that can be boughtat fish-haunt store...something like rail oil.

Could somebody here please help me to understand how to properly lubricate my motor with the older pulley!?
I have read several post but I can't understand where the brass bracket is.

Thanks
I have a Classic 3 that arrived last August or September, I think. It has a larger pulley like the one on youtube clip. There is about 3-4mm clearance between Pulley and platter.
I saw one of the earliest version of Classic 3 that has smaller pulley like Classic I. Classic 3 actually went through a few minor revision. The color of the plinth used to be metallic grey if you look back at old Music Direct ads and such. Now it is matted black. Platter now has grooves that was not there in early version. I would not be surprise if VPI decide to add rimdrive or idle drive or whatever but It is not out yet as far as I know.