Voltage conversion from 220V to 110V.

With all the deals you see on Euro and Asian market stuff that operates on 220V its hard not to wonder is there a problem using a North American converter.

Ive got my eye on a set of Asian market mono bolck tube amps. Theyre the 220V version but theyre also about $1500 cheaper than their North American counterparts.

Can I expect any sonic problem stepping the voltage up for their requirements with a high quality converter?

What kind of converter would work best?

Thanks.
nm512

Showing 2 responses by subaruguru

El...tingle? I remember working on an old ( tuber back as a teen in the mid sixties, dutifully keeping one arm behind my back to ensure not closing a loop. Two hours later I woke up 10 feet away on the floor, with a bump on my head.
Later I noticed a red scratch on my neck.
Next day I returned to my basement lair and saw a piece of 16 gauge dangling at head height from a waterpipe as my "convenient" ground. But recently I taught my daughter (17) how to replace a duplex while still "hot"; jeez, ya think I have a subconscious motivation to avoid all those tuition bills? PHEW!
As a high school science project one year I followed POPULAR ELECTRONICS' schematic to make a hand-held battery-operated "muscle stimulator" that sent unsuspecting holder's arm muscles rippling when both hands closed the circuit. Of course I had to get stupid and put a pot on its transistor-controlled transformer, allowing the thing to jangle the arms of as many as a dozen people linked in a circle! Needless to say I wasn't allowed to demo it live a second time...nor did it win a prize. Pretty damned scary for a pair of AA batteries though!