Voltage conversion from 220V to 110V.

With all the deals you see on Euro and Asian market stuff that operates on 220V its hard not to wonder is there a problem using a North American converter.

Ive got my eye on a set of Asian market mono bolck tube amps. Theyre the 220V version but theyre also about $1500 cheaper than their North American counterparts.

Can I expect any sonic problem stepping the voltage up for their requirements with a high quality converter?

What kind of converter would work best?

Thanks.
nm512

Showing 4 responses by jea48

You may want to check with the manufacture of the Amps to see if they are dual voltage via way of a switch or internal tap change.If they are not,ask them about using 220\230 volt USA power.If the Amps are 220v 50 cycle only, I would ask if 60 cycle is ok.You may have more heat because of the difference in frequency.Make sure the power transformer winding insulation is capable of the extra heat if any.cover your bases before you buy.
Eldartford; yes I know the neutral is bonded to ground at the service panel only, and not at the equiptment.That could prove to be quite dangerous if it was connectd to the chasis.Just think what would happen if the plug on the equipt.was pluggeg into an old non polarized recept.with a ground cheater,and the polarity was reversed. You would have, ONE HOT AMP.You missed the point I was trying to make.
Hector, thanks for your answer.Got to ask!What is the neutral for? Or did you mean equiptment ground.It gets confusing some times. The neutral,white wire, is the grounded conductor.The green ,or bare,the equiptment grounding conductor. Jim