Vincent Audio SV-500 Arriving Today

So I have a Vincent Audio SV-500 arriving today.

Pretty excited and not sure what I am going to experience (something good I hope of course!)
They will be connected to Martin Logan Motion 40’s, Questyle CMA400i DAC and Denon dp-300f TT with a Ortofon 2M Blue, Hi Res music from my HTPC (DSD and other Flac Files).

Since the Vincent does not have a phono stage for now, I will need to use the built in phono in the Denon.

And I will be comparing to my current source, a Denon AVR-5700.Perhaps not as much power as the Denon but am hoping that I am going to like.
I think the following will happen:
- I absolutely love it and stay with it- I don’t see a big difference from the Denon and return it- I don’t like the sound of a Hybrid Amp and return it and get a SS Amp (maybe a Yamy AS1100 or 2100)- I like it very much and get curious about the SV-237MK and so exchange for that
Got roughly 30 days to figure it out.
We’ll see....
128x128jay73

Showing 3 responses by auxinput

If it’s one thing I noticed from listening to Vincent amps is that they are very warm sounding. As I remember, the older Denon stuff is also voiced towards the warm side. So, even though the Vincent is a much better amplifier than what is in the Denon receiver, it is likely a very similar sonic signature. If you are looking for something with much more of a "wow" factor, the Vincent is probably not the right answer. Vincent will give you a very refined and smooth sound, but very warm sound as well (definitely laid back). It actually reminds me a lot of the older B&K amps (they were very warm sounding also).

If you decide the Vincent is not exciting enough for you, I am actually thinking the Yamaha integrateds are going to be too much on the "solid state" side. I would recommend you look at the Rotel RA-1592 integrated. In my opinion, it’s a much more refined sound than the Yamaha and it’s a lot more dynamic than the Vincent with more resolution. I am very impressed with the Rotel stuff for a budget level audiophile offering. It’s in the same price range as the Yamaha’s your looking at. With 200 watts per channel, it give significantly more power than the Yamaha/Vincent/Denon equipment. It has a pretty good DAC and also has a phono input (so you don’t have to use your Denon receiver for turntable duty).
Actually, the Yamaha S1100 or S2100 integrated amps would be a lot brighter and more forward than the Denon/Vincent sound.  The same would be said about the Bryston integrated. 

Class D amps will not be as bright or solid-state sounding as the Yamaha or Bryston.  They are going to be a very high resolution and very smooth amp.  Very neutral (not warm / not bright).  However, many Class D amps just do not have the high frequency extention and "air" that Class AB amps have.  Many love the Class D offerings, but my hearing and personal preference is sensitive to that lack of "air"  that Class AB has.
Huh.  I have only heard the Yamaha from many youtube videos (which on my system has accurately shown the sonic signature).  All the Yamaha integrateds have a very bright and solid state sound.