Victor TT 101 vs TT 81

I am aware of some of the differences regarding the motors of these two units, but I was wondering if anyone had insights as to the differences in sound (if any) and the differences in reliability (I'm guessing the 81 being simpler might be more reliable, however, it seems to have the better motor).  Any info will be appreciated.
rgs

Showing 5 responses by rgs

Thanks for the info Halcro and HW.  

Halcro, to be honest, I have a bias towards coreless design (interesting you find it difficult to differentiate from the two...food for thought), but was concerned about the complexity of the 101 (more things that could go wrong).  Reading from your prior posts, I realize the importance of changing the caps and re-soldering the old solder joints (specially when troubles surface regarding the latter).  Are there any parts you think are particularly important to acquire as spares?

HW, that is a very positive recommendation from you and the custom base is quite interesting.  Did you try it nude with metal pillars/feet?  If yes, was there any advantage or disadvantage to using your custom base?

Halcro, besides the aesthetics, was there any value in removing the "base" from the turntable?  BTW, I like the design of your arm pillars.  Any reason you decided to go with your own design as opposed to using the steel column "legs with spikes" sometimes seen in Japanese auctions sites?
Hi Halcro,

Thanks for all the links you have provided.  Although I had read them in the past, it was good to revisit.  I was surfing the Vinyl Engine JVC turntable section and I came across the QL 66F.  One of the threads you directed me to references your experience with a lower QL version (A5??), and how it impressed you.  It appears the 66F was one of the last higher end tt JVC made.  I don't care for its automatic controls, but it seems its motor borrows much the TT 101's tech, even more than the TT 81 did.  The 66F also uses a coreless motor and servo controls.  Have you ever had a chance to examine one?  Reading a couple of threads on the net suggest that it benefits from a lot damping of the plinth.  Considering it probably does not sell for much on the used market, I wonder how difficult it would be to remove its motor and motor electronics to use elsewhere. 
Thanks Halcro.  You are right, initially I thought I would go with the TT 81 if it was the same, but I think in the end my bias towards coreless will reign.  TT 101 it is.